Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Chesapeake Bay boaters, trip to OC Maryland? >

Chesapeake Bay boaters, trip to OC Maryland?

Notices

Chesapeake Bay boaters, trip to OC Maryland?

Old 12-27-2002, 10:14 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Chesapeake Bay boaters, trip to OC Maryland?

Every year a group of us get together and depart from Hart Miller Island (near Middle River) around 8:30AM, making the trip up through the canal, into the Delaware Bay, out to the Ocean and down to OC Maryland. This is not a club sponsored event, just a bunch of members and friends who spend a week down the beach with our boats. It's a fun trip, and great destination at Harbour Island on 14th Street (HQ for the White Marlin Tourney each year).

Once again we'll be there for the week of the 4th of July. I'll have some condo or townhome and slip rental info in a few weeks. We'll hookup with HotDuck, aka LynchMob while we're there!! Good guy with a great hotel too, only 3 blocks away. Any interest?

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 12-29-2002, 11:13 AM
kevin225BR

Sounds great, is this a race? or just a nice cruise, I'm asking because i have a single engine 22.5 foot open bow crownline. I would really like to try it if you guys think i would be safe doing the trip.

Old 12-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might work for me. keep me posted.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:09 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Hiya Kevin and good to hear from you Bob. Tell Carol we said "hi".

Kevin, no it's not a race, just a group trip to the beach. Not a CBPBA sponsored event either, so you don' t have to be a member. It's tough to clearly answer your other question because of currently unknown factors. The traditional group usually goes down running at 50+MPH average in great sea conditions, considerably slower depending on chop. But these are typically 31' to 42' gofasts. The intention this year is to break everyone up into groups because we'll have more boats with a wider range of desired cruising speeds. We now have about 8 who want to run 40+MPH, several with older engines, and don't want to push their luck. Another 7 will run the 50+ range.

If we get at least 2 or 3 boats similar to yours, would be terrific because there is safety in numbers. Wouldn't recommend such a long run alone, especially single engine boats. There are 2 large SeaRays' who also usually go with us, they may be the guys we'll hook you up with. As with all, we recommend unlimited towing insurance and checking with your carrier to ensuer you're covered in the Atlantic.

At 22', trailering down for the week would be a good backup plan if the weather gets squirrely, you could still make a 1 way run. With hurricane season in July, the Atlantic and Delaware Bay can get pretty nasty. Several years ago, it took the group 12 hours to run the approx 150 miles from Balto area, because they encountered 10 foot rollers. Even the USCG helicopter contacted them via VHF as it hovered just to ask if they were all crazy.

Provided we get good weather and sea conditions, we'll have a few in the 20+MPH range who will cruise on down with you. Keep ya posted.

Old 12-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that trip twice in my 38 Scarab from Back River. What a great time. But I do not know if I could make it down in the Motion with out any fuel stops. Besides the C&D canal is there any other places to get 92 oct. on the DE bay ?
Old 12-29-2002, 04:49 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds interesting!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:31 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

We make 2 stops on the way down. 89 octane in Lewes, DE. The 92 octane guys stop at Indian River. When we have sunny skies, great opportunity to chill awhile as the boats load up on fuel. In OC there's both available, and some even fill up again same places on way home just to top off.

Old 12-30-2002, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sounds like fun

We would be there, but we have plans for the 4th...........we have a wedding to attend.....Ours
Old 12-30-2002, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Chesapeake to OC

That sounds like a blast. I would only be comfortable doing that trip in my boat if I had no schedule I've been caught too many times in the ever-changing conditions of our area. Nothing is worse than being stuck in the chit and having to get home!!

However, We have a place in Bethany Beach and I have access to a slip in that Marina that you all are talking about staying at. Trailering is worth it

Keep me posted, Craig
Old 12-30-2002, 04:56 PM
donzi-dad

Sounds like fun.Would you like me to post this on the donzi site?also can u tell me dates...week of july4?ect we are thinking of going/or just staying in the middle river to see fireworks..thanks bill.

Quick Reply: Chesapeake Bay boaters, trip to OC Maryland?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.