Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stupidest Boat related thing you did in 2002 >

Stupidest Boat related thing you did in 2002

Notices

Stupidest Boat related thing you did in 2002

Old 01-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took my boat to have the engine rebuilt at derebery marine on lake texoma.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Registered

Ran the boat onto a sandbar. Luckily, I was only at about 10 mph. As I jump into the water to set her free, Tow Boat guy comes over to render assistance and voila my inflatable PFD explodes. The tow boat capt. then looks at me and realizes that I'm the same guy who he helped w/ a sunken Scarab the summer before. Still looking for a cartridge for my PFD.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:48 PM
jcboats

i launched the boat early one day (no beers yet) tied it off to the dock, parked the car, got in the boat started it up and headed out of the marina. got about 2 miles out and realized that there was something that i was forgetting to do. i left my 2 brand new 20' 1/2 dia. black dock lines on the swim platform along with my brand new top siders ($75.00)

all gone!!!!

jc

Old 01-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Registered

i bought a boat!!
can't get much dumber than that
everything else is just a repurcution(sp)
Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Registered

Just a few dumb things here. Was running the boat in a river off Lake MI and did not think the water was as low as it was. Just as I was telling my dog to get down off the bow because I was affraid of the depth I hit a sand bar going about 40. If it wasn't for the center counsol I would have flown right out of the boat. The dog would have surely been run over but didn't. I also trailered the boat and even backed down the ramp and unloaded when I noticed the latch was up on the tounge. Out in Lake Superior 20 miles from no where my buzzer went off for the oil injector. There was no way to stop it and it was ear piercing. I was in real trouble here as I had about 10 minutes of oil left and an hour to the next port. I was really lucky it was a busy day (which means more than one boat on Lake Superior )so I started chasing outboards looking for oil. I found a Boston Whaler and figuring they were smart enough to buy one on these they may have oil. They had a full gallon with them. I paid $1 less than they paid because that was all I had and I was off. Really luck there again. Tried to be a nice guy and tow a 40ft sailboat off a sand bar. The rope was around the steering arm and when I pulled real hard and freed the boat I found my steering really hard, almost impossible. I had bent the arm and it would'nt pass thru the sleeve. I was on my way to a fun run and had to go home because I couldn't steer. $100 later with a complete steering cable and I was off again. At an OSO get together I was lazy and didn't want to take my shoes off to hitch the bow eye up. I tried to jump from the dock to the trailer and made it. Then I was walking backwards and walked off the trailer. As I fell backwards all I could think of was what am I going to hit, my bumper, the trailer or the dock and how long would I be Hospitalizes. I missed evereything but the water. I was soaked and had no clean warm clothes so I hat to ride an hour home soaking wet. The best part is no one saw me. I can also vouch for Waterfoul. He is in the process of writing a novel that is 100 pages so far and that is only last year. I have more but I am saving them for Americas Funniest Videos.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Intolerant1

I should contact Powerboat or Hotboat. This thread would make a great article for one of their mags.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:06 PM
1Malibu

Only one thing over summer...I got off easy this year.

My girlfriend and I went on vaction this summer and after a full day of boating we were heading back to the hotel with the boat in tow. Get into the parking lot and I was going to back the boat and trailer in a parking stall...right next to another boat. Well...the parking lot wasn't very well lit but I thought...I'm a pro backing up in the dark...I can back up anything with ease. So I start backing up in the direction where I want to park for the night. No problem....but then I can to an abrupt stop. WTF!! I get out to find that I back right into the winch stand of another boat that was on the trailer. Great...and now my swim platform is busted!! I was so pissed and I ask my girlfriend why she didn't get out to help me back up??? Wrong thing to say at the time as I was clearly at fault. $500 later I had a new swim platform.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

I decide to test my safety harness (without really warning anyone) to see if the engine shuts down when it's disconnected.

Well, here goes -- POINK!!! Engine shuts down... everyone in the boat lurches forward violently as boat immediately comes off plane at about 25 mph... drinks fly... people gather themselves up off the floor and glare at me, the idiot, who is now trying frantically to re-start the engine to no avail..dead as a door knob. Things are getting dicey until I notice that bright red safety harness is dangling there with only one end attached to Captain Stupid. No problem...re-attach safety harness to boat. Still nothing. Dead in water. No sign of life. Wife comes to rescue by helpfully suggesting I take the boat out of gear before trying to crank it again...
Old 01-02-2003, 02:41 PM
JnT
Registered

SHARKEY that wasn't stupid!Big balls is what I'd say!!I saw the writeup in Hot Boat.I'd be proud as hell.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Registered

O.K. this is really embarassing but owe well. the boat was tieed of at the dock and I was standing on the bow I reached over to the dock to get something and my weight pushed the boat away.the dock lines let the boat get about 6foot from the dock(I'm 6'4") Feet on bow and hands on dock I started thinking chit my arms are tired am going go bend backwards like a taco and eat it right ingto the lake. I held myself with one arm and emptiee my pockets(cell, wallet, keys) with the other. Right at this piont my girlfriend sees me, staerts laughing her a$$ off and yells to my buddy to come and help. Iwould have rather fallen in than her yell for help because her voice got the attention of the nieghbors who were having a cook-out. I became the entertainment for thier whole party. THAT SUCKED.

BTW: my buddy did manage to pull the boat in and I stayed dry. my abs hurt for a week.

Quick Reply: Stupidest Boat related thing you did in 2002

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.