Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for Some Cleats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40095-looking-some-cleats.html)

JohnJan 01-02-2003 08:58 AM

Looking for Some Cleats

1 Attachment(s)
I need to do some repairs and refinish the deck of my 1994 26' Thoroughbred so I thought I'd like to update it a bit as well.

Does anybody know where I can get a decent deal on some pop-up cleats, perhaps used. I will need 5, probably 5" or 6", whatever is a standard size.

Also, the cabin is configured such that there is really no access to the bilge for a drain from the bow cleat. Do ya'll think it'll be a problem to close off the drain on a pop-up cleat and let whatever water that gets in there evaporate?

Thanks, John

dockrocker 01-02-2003 09:29 AM

John, would it be possible to run the drain from the bow cleat to a thru hull fitting on the bow, rather than down into the bilge? I've seen anchor lockers that have drains plumbed this way - something to think about, anyway.

Dredgeking 01-02-2003 09:59 AM

you can always run the boat and blow the water out of the cleats. they'll be dry by the time you get to your destination.

Smitty 01-02-2003 11:29 AM

I've got pop ups on my Baja and I wanted to add some so I found the same ones at the following place.

shermanshooterssupply.com

Dave

Ted G 01-02-2003 08:03 PM

Go here: Outdoor Textiles

and look under "Hardware"-good stuff, good prices

Intolerant1 01-02-2003 08:13 PM

insptech...you werent kidding. Great prices

rbtnt 01-02-2003 08:35 PM

You might want to look at pull-up cleats. I think they require smaller cutouts in deck than the pop-ups.

Shanghied Again 01-02-2003 08:55 PM

Got my pop up cleats from www.livorsi.com Gaffrig

JohnJan 01-03-2003 11:15 AM

Thanks ya'll. Has anybody used the pull-up cleats? Do they stay up with a detent or something or are they held up by the dock lines?

Steamin Rice 01-03-2003 11:39 AM

My Brother has pull up cleats on his boat and would rather have pop-up cleats....His stay up on their own, but sometimes they can be a pain to pull up...The pop ups open with just a push of the button....

rbtnt 01-04-2003 04:24 PM

I've had pull up cleats for 2 years in fresh water now and no problems. They are only up when I use them. My friends with pop up cleats which they had the pull ups. The only problem with them is, you can't have a beer can lauching competition like you can with the pop ups. :D

JohnJan 01-05-2003 08:51 PM

Well then. I hadn't considered launching stuff with them. That makes all the difference. I'll be getting pop-ups!

timewarp 01-05-2003 11:05 PM

JJ,
They make a little thru hull fitting for the drains on the popups, you just run a plastic hose down to the fitting. The ones I have on my Warlock are polished stainless, can't remember if they came from CP or Eddie Marine or Rex Marine. You wouldn't want to just put the cup on the bottom and seal up the drain, they hold quite a bit of water.

Hope this helps,
Caleb

Griff 01-06-2003 01:11 AM

Another idea might be to used a recessed cleat that Stainless Marine makes and paint/powdercoat it to match the hull. They are the same ones Too Old had on his Sonic. You can see them on the Stainless Marine website.