OT... Old Forge NY ...????? >

OT... Old Forge NY ...?????

Notices

OT... Old Forge NY ...?????

Old 01-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVIL,
Thanks for the offer , I might take you up on it if nothing changes here in the next few weeks. I have to at least ride once this year!
Alot of my buddies started doing the ice drag thing since there is plenty of ice to ride on but I can just say no, I get bored just going back and forth. Plus I can't afford to have a badass drag sled , trail sled and a boat !
About 5 years ago a friend and I did have a 215hp prostock dragsled that we raced on the pavement and ice. It was fun but even when we where winning it got boring , now there are 215hp trail sleds! I just can't keep up !
Old 01-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evil ..... where can we register for NY in old forge ?????

JM
Old 01-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

leopajm,

I have been told you can do it on the internet, but I am not sure of that. I was also told that there is a place in Old Forge that does the registration (like at the same place for permits), but I will have to look into both of those for you. I will find out and let you know next week. Sorry I can't help you right now, but being I live in NY I never had to worry about registering at special locations. I will definitely let you know on Monday or Tuesday. I agree that you should not have to register in NY. As long as it is registered in your home state. We just want more of your money! I always picture Mich. and Minnes. as winter wonderland. But we seem to have all the snow! We should get all you Mich. boys out to New York. I will put together a big bash!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks !!! Sounds good !!!

JM
Old 01-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well,

I'm done for the week and heading home to do some riding tonight and this weekend. It is snowing like mad! I will be thinking of you Michigan boys this weekend. I hope you guys have a nice weekend. Sorry
Old 01-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Registered

Unhappy

Some of the problems that we are facing here in NY.

Snowmobile trails closed until insurance glitch resolved

By WILLIAM KATES
The Associated Press
1/3/03 4:17 PM
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) -- Thousands of miles of snowmobile trails across upstate New York are being closed as local clubs wait to learn whether their new insurance policies protect landowners who allow their property to be used as trails.
The problem may just be a matter of language interpretation, Jim Jennings, executive director of the New York State Snowmobile Association, said Friday.
Or it could be a full-scale crisis.
"It's potentially devastating. It's not just a bunch of snowmobilers without a place to ride. This is peak riding time," Jennings said.
"We are talking about millions of dollars to the local economies. There are dozens of little towns and villages that rely on snowmobiling and the tourism dollars they bring. They will be crippled," he said.
On Thursday night, the Lewis County Snowmobile Association voted at an emergency meeting to close all the county's private snowmobile trails, adding its name to a growing list that already included Erie, Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming, Warren and Washington counties.
"This is the number one priority of the insurance department, and we understand the time sensitivity of the issue," said Joanna Rose, a spokeswoman for the state Insurance Department.
After meeting with club officials Thursday and reviewing the policies, insurance department representatives spent the day Friday discussing it with Northfield Insurance Co. officials without resolution. Rose said the talks were scheduled to continue Monday. She declined to detail the issues being discussed.
Laura Bradshaw, a spokeswoman for Travelers Property Casualty Co., which owns Northland Insurance Co., the parent of Northfield, said it was company procedure to not comment on insurance policy interpretation matters.
"The perceptions of the broker and the customer may differ," Bradshaw said.
In New York, landowners are not liable for injuries sustained on public snowmobile trails running across their properties. But individual clubs who maintain private trails buy insurance to cover the defense costs of any lawsuits lodged against landowners, said Hal Fleischman, a vice president for the snowmobile association.
Over the past five years, only one company had been willing to write insurance for New York's snowmobile clubs, he said.
The trail insurance predicament began in May when that company, TIG, decided not to renew the policies for approximately 140 clubs across the state that have to purchase their own policies, said Don Roark, the snowmobiling association's president.
The association, its clubs and state insurance officials searched extensively but found only Northfield willing to provide insurance this year -- at premiums Roark said were anywhere from 50 percent to 450 percent higher than the premiums paid by the clubs last year.
Snowmobile clubs began signing up for the Northfield policy in September. Two weeks ago, snowmobilers and officials received their written copies of the policy. Included was an "exclusion" that says the policy does not cover any snowmobile accidents.
"Of course, that's the main reason we took the policy. We're puzzled and we cannot get any answers. This exclusion makes it look like a worthless piece of paper," Jennings said.
It could be that the exclusion is directed at individual snowmobilers finding protection in the policy, he said. But the clubs only want the insurance to protect the landowners.
"Members know personal insurance is their responsibility," Jennings said.
Coverage expired for many clubs on Jan. 1, Jennings said. Others are covered through the end of the month. Northfield also has stopped accepting quotes for new policies. About 30 clubs had other insurance and will be able to continue operating, he said.
Jennings estimated as much as 8,000 miles of the 9,100 miles of trails maintained by local clubs could eventually be closed.
"If this is something that goes on long term, it would have a huge -- a terrible, huge -- effect in the Tug Hill," said Robert Quinn, executive director of the Tug Hill Commission, a state agency that provides environmental and developmental guidance on the 40-mile long plateau arising from Lake Ontario's eastern shore, about 50 miles north of Syracuse.
Because of its location and topography, the Tug Hill is pounded by lake effect squalls that produce almost 300 inches of snow a year. The sparsely populated wilderness area is a snowmobiling mecca, drawing riders from all across the United States and Canada.
"Snowmobiling means hundreds of jobs, millions of dollars. All of that would be in jeopardy," said Quinn. "There are towns where the total population is 100, maybe 300 and all the local jobs are the bed and breakfasts, the motels, the restaurants, the gas stations, the taverns, the convenience stores. Everybody is busy because of snowmobiling."
Old 01-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Registered

It appears however that the Old Forge area is not going to be effected by this insurance issue.