Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question for the Graphics guys >

Question for the Graphics guys

Notices

Question for the Graphics guys

Old 01-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Uncle Toys

Default Question for the Graphics guys

Wondering if you can paint over gel-coat graphics? If you can, what kind of quality do you end up with?

Old 01-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in the OSO links section under Grafikworx and call them, they can answer that question. You can see some of their work also in the photos section under Custom Graphics.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:57 PM
packinair

when glassdave painted my cat it had gell graphics on it and he used somekind of sealer primer thing on it... it turned out great

Old 01-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Uncle Toys

Originally posted by OffshoreOnly
Look in the OSO links section under Grafikworx and call them, they can answer that question. You can see some of their work also in the photos section under Custom Graphics.
Well this is strange. Our firewall (whatever) wont let me access their site. Comes up with a warning as if I am headed for some kind of adult site.

Any chance someone has their phone number and could post it for me. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:31 PM
packinair

[email protected]

1856 NE 142 Street
North Miami,Fl

but I didn't see a phone number

Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Uncle Toys

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Uncle Toys
Well this is strange. Our firewall (whatever) wont let me access their site. Comes up with a warning as if I am headed for some kind of adult site.

Any chance someone has their phone number and could post it for me. Thanks in advance.
You could also call Louie at Kachina. He does alot of paint over gel and their graphics are phenomenal. Give them a call at 602-244-1450
Old 01-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

UT my bro said that as long as you are sanded smooth that you will be fine. You need to prime with the proper primer as recommended by your paint supplier. PREP WORK IS KEY this this stuff. Do not take any holidays while you are sanding or you will have poor adhesion.

Jon
Old 01-02-2003, 06:49 PM
572scarab

I am a paint rep. As long as your graphics are in the gel sand it and paint it no real need for primer unless you are doing body work but like audiofn said dont take a vacation when sanding! remember there is always time to do it twice never time to do it right !!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Uncle Toys

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it!

As a follow up, I just got off the phone with Harold at Grafikworx in Miami. He told me painting over gel-coat graphics is not any more of a problem than painting over paint. In fact, it could be easier because the surface is smoother. He said it is important to get the surface smooth so the old graphics do not “telegraph” through the new paint.

Told me it takes about a week and $10k to white out the boat, then add whatever time and money considering the graphics you want.

Thanks for the tip Jeff.