Notices

OT: Business software

Old 01-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: Business software

What would be the best low cost software to buy that I can use on a PC for my new heating company I plan to start up. I will need to organize customers ( name, adress, all the usuall stuff)and also history of past service calls done.
Thanks Steve
Old 01-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

TB,

I have used Quickbooks Pro 5.0 in my Truck Accessory business since I opened 5 years ago. It's been a great program for me. Keeps track of everything you can think of and more. The version I have is very dated. I have no desire to upgrade due to the fact that I know this version so well.

I have a buddy that runs his store with a product called Peachtree. From the looks of it the two programs have pros and cons when you compare the two. I do know that he has to completely empty his computer every two years with Peachtree. I can just keep on going with Quickbook Pro.

Ask around about the two and see which one would work better for you. I think one of them will meet your needs very well.

Buck
Old 01-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learn Microsoft Access for your customer database.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to not only put in the name and address and other info but also what equipment they have and possibly the service history. History on another page if nessisary.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:07 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

quick books pro is good
Old 01-05-2003, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

TB,

I would imagine you could get a sample version of all the mentioned software to try online.

Ask A LOT of questions too.

I can answer most about Quickbooks, but not on anything else.

Buck
Old 01-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too use Quick Books Pro. Invoicing, recivables, payables, checkbook, bill paying, inventory, job costing, payroll etc. is very simple and convenient(sp). I service my customers on a regular basis so I do not need to store too much info on them. Most of it is in my head. Like Buck said, you may be able to download trial programs. Do a seach on accounting software and see what comes up. Also look for message boards in your field and see what others are using.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Registered

I use a program called Goldmine. It's great for tracking customers. I can enter in contact information, schedule calls and keep a history of eveything. You can do mailing lists and a ton of things that I haven't figured out yet. You can enter future jobs that your bidding on, who's involved in them and track the progress. Act is another one out there.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

QuickBooks Pro is the best combo of affordability, ease of use, wealth of features, and is also popular enough that you can find help easily.

If you are an accountant, Peachtree offers features not available on QBP and also offers extreme customizability.

A zillion others exist and there may be one that fits your needs better than others, but I started w/QuickBooks ten years ago with the opinion that I would use it until I figured out what stuff I needed better software for. I never changed to anything else.