Notices

Help! ! Need a coupler

Old 12-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Help! ! Need a coupler

Help !! I need a good used coupler for a '97 454 Bravo. I don't understand how I could wear out two couplers in 150 hours!! Both engines have been out & in ( at 140 hrs by Arizona Speed). Alignment was checked and was good when the drive was removed. Now I have the "points" showing in the coupler.....worn out sleeve. The drive shafts and u-joints are good, but two times in 150 hours??

Does anyone have a good used one for sale?? Please!!
Old 12-09-2002, 10:35 PM
rpm

DO NOT put a used coupler in. The only thing that causes what you are describing is improper alignment and lack of lubrication over time. Were the other two couplers used as well? Its a fairly inexpensive item and Merc has a new style specifically for big blocks and Bravo's. If you can't find the new upgraded style for $275.00 locally, let me know and I'd be happy to send one.
Rod

Old 12-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Registered

Rod,..... Both couplers were original equipment from Formula. At 140 hrs Arizona speed pulled both engines for work.....they messed up both of them. The starboard engine melted a piston, the port we now know has a broken ring (from when they did the work-provable too.) During this rebuild (port) and inspection this coupler was also worn badly. I have my suspicions about whether or not I really have the originals or not now....as the exhaust manifolds were also terribly corroded as from salt & this boat has NEVER seen salt. Things just don't go haywire like this without 'HELP'..... understand what I'm saying???
I replaced the 1st coupler (starboard) in July with a good used coupler and have no "wear " issues with it. I suspect the same will be true of the port side..... again, see what I'm suggesting??
Maybe it didn't come back with all the "same parts" it went in with.????? I truly hate to think that, but........?????
Old 12-09-2002, 11:05 PM
rpm

I understand your concerns, but hate to see you pull an engine to replace a minor item like a coupler when you already have it out. Besides, the newer ones have more shaft support. I like them. Do yourself a favor and seriously consider using a new style. Call me if you'd like to talk more about it. Thanks

920-236-4220

Rod

Old 12-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to what rpm says. The principle holds true in almost all boat repair/maintenance actions....That cheaper used part will end up costing you 3-5 times it's orginal cost plus lost boating time.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Also, did you personally check the alignment? I dont trust anyone.

Rod, can you tell us more about the new couplers and what the differences are? Very interested, I dont mind spending the money if thats the best thing to do long term. Ive never hurt a coupler either.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Registered

Yes, My mechanic (a friend) and I checked it together and the tool went right in, no problem. I am selling this boat so I want it right, but I really think the problem was worn/used couplers from Az Spd and improper alignment there to begin with. That and the fact they never tightened the mounting bolts down on the engines. Now that they are worn, of course the tool would slide in....it's worn to fit.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Registered

Yup you probably hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Talking

Don't put a used coupler in!!!!I've replaced a couple it sucks almost rather take an ass beating.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:48 AM
rpm

Here's what the new couplers look like.
Attached Thumbnails Help! !  Need a coupler-coupler.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help! ! Need a coupler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.