Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT Snowmobile trails in N.Y (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40404-ot-snowmobile-trails-n-y.html)

Gary C 01-06-2003 10:16 AM

OT Snowmobile trails in N.Y

I'm sure Shane would know this. My brother in Binghamton, told me that all the trails in N.Y. were closed due to some insurance snafu. Is this true? He's a little pissed about it. Anybody know the story?

EvilTwin 01-06-2003 10:27 AM

Gary,

Yes there is an Insurance issue with MOST, but not all trails. Some clubs have insurance for this winter, but most have been screwed by the "small print" on the new policies. They sold snowmobile clubs a policy for the trails that does not cover snowmobile related accidents! Go figure. The state trails are open, but the clubs that do not have insurance have closed the trials and stopped grooming them until a settlement has been established. ALOT of money is being lost to the state and businesses over this. Fortunately this is not effecting me to much as I have places to ride by me and then my trips to Canada, but it is tough for a lot of people.

wwwTOPDJcom 01-06-2003 10:36 AM

Chris that dont stop your lake Usage right?

my friends down here in Binghamton are having
problems , some farmers/land owners . are blocking access
and it has broke up all the trails.:( :(

Shane 01-06-2003 10:51 AM

Chris pretty much hit the nail on the head. A subsidiary of Citigroup/Travelers called Northfield Insurance, upped the price of insurance to snowmobile clubs by 300-400 percent!!!!! Clubs are pretty strapped for cash as it is and this was a big hit. Most raised teh funds and sent it in to Northfield. Northfield told them the policies would be basically the same as last year. They never sent out a binder and cashed checks back in late summer early fall. Then sent out policies on December 26. Many old policies expire January 1 and there was a clause in the contracts that stated they would not cover snowmobile or groomer related accidents. Am I that stupid or is the a SNOWMOBILE CLUB POLICY! Unfortunately, this being NY, there is only one carrier nationwide that will underwrite here and they have now instilled a clause that basically takes them out as well leaving all the clubs and private land owners with no insurance. I cannot blame the land owners for shutting down their property. Trails that are on state land or are covered under municipal insurance are not effected. This does however, effect MOST trails in the state.:mad: :mad: :mad:

wwwTOPDJcom 01-06-2003 10:54 AM

Need to start a statewide club and become self insured
I know you need something like a million of avaible funds
to do that, lots of paperwork too

Shane 01-06-2003 10:57 AM

Brian,

There is already the NYSSA that is helping out. We need to organize like Vermont or Canada. Like you said, LOTS OF WORK!

EvilTwin 01-06-2003 10:57 AM

Brian & Shane,

No there was alot of activity on the lake this weekend. I have not been too affected yet this year. I have between 3 and 4 FEET in my yard! Great weekend. I leave for Canada in 10 days for a week, but it seems the snow here is just fine. This weekend sounds to be even better than last weekend. Poker run again this weekend.

Shane 01-06-2003 11:03 AM

Chris,

I am going to Canada next Thursday as well. Where you going?

EvilTwin 01-06-2003 11:18 AM

Shane,

I leave the 18th for St Michael. Am coming back either 24th, 25th or 26th depending on how much fun were having. Where are you staying?

Shane 01-06-2003 11:24 AM

St Zenon, Le REFUGE. Going up Thursday coming home Monday.