Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Run Etiquette... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40481-poker-run-etiquette.html)

jb 01-07-2003 09:30 AM

Poker Run Etiquette...

I have been fortunate enough to be invited along for the ride in a bunch of Poker Runs. Including 1000 Islands. We usually all split the entry, gas..etc between everyone in the boat.
I have also just split the gas.
Sometimes any winnings are split, sometimes not.

What do you all do?
What the right thing?
What about any winnings?

PLanning is starting for the upcoming season!!

R Addiction 01-07-2003 09:39 AM

We pay the bills then split the rest. If there is any left:D

Wally 01-07-2003 10:03 AM

For me in the past (up untill i sold the boat) it all depended on how the weekend was set up.....If we planned it all in advance, then everything was split right down the middle.....but if by chance everyone baild out on me (like it always seems to happen) last minute and i had to find extras to come along and fill space then it woudl all be mine. Any offerings of gas or food, etc would be greatly accepted but if any winnings then it would go into the boat funds. :D

bn 01-07-2003 10:41 AM

It would seem proper to me that all or most of the winnings go to the owner of the boat. He is taking the chance with his boat. Unless of course everybody agrees up front to split the cost of everything, including fixing the boat if something breaks during the run.

With that in mind, I think that the passenger would have better odds just splitting the fuel and entry fee and enjoying the ride.

klaw 01-07-2003 10:47 AM

This is an interesting topic.
In the past I have fronted all the expenses so it was never an issue but with starting to attend 4 runs a year it is getting expensive.

My new plan is if you split the entry fee and a winning hand is drawn everyone gets their entry fee and expenses back and a free ride in the next years run if attended.

The remaining money goes to me for boat expenses.

kitten 01-07-2003 11:00 AM

We own the boat, we pay the entry. We're going anyway. The passengers pay for themself, cos they are extra $$. We keep the cash from the winning hand and any passenger can purchase an extra hand if they like. We usually split the fuel. :chick: :chick:

Mark in So. MD 01-07-2003 11:05 AM

Kitten, ha thats exactly what I do.

And if you got guest going, dont forget to get the money up front or you might be stuck begging forever and not getting:rolleyes:

kitten 01-07-2003 11:08 AM

right on! :chick: :chick: :chick:
:D :D :D ....are you following me ?

liquid asset 01-07-2003 11:16 AM

I pay everything and keep everything

Clay Washington 01-07-2003 11:21 AM

If I invite friends to come along, then I pay for gas. I do not ask for gas money. But if they offer, I take it. :D

Everyone brings their own food and drink. I buy my poker hand and they can buy theirs.

I don't know what happens if someone in my boat wins. It has never happened! :(

If I am the guest, then I offer to pay for some of the gas. They usually turn me down, but at least I offer. :)