Dually questions---need advice >

Dually questions---need advice

Notices

Dually questions---need advice

Old 01-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sean - yeah - I am happy to have "too much Truck!!"
and you're right - dually's are just cool.
They also really intimidate all those little cars on the road that won't get out of the passing lane.

One thing though - when trailering - If I dropped the boat and needed to park the truck/trailer - it can be a b!tch - those wheel wells make it pretty difficult to see where the trailer is going - of course I was pulling a shorter trailer than yours.
Just more things to consider.....
Old 01-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 98 GMC K3500 4x4 (loaded) with 72K and have never had a problem. Super tow vehicle. (In fact its for sale now). Check out my homepage, photo album for pics. And, the only reason its for sale is because we dont need 2 large tow vehicles and the wife just got a 2500 Avalanche.

From what I remember they "fixed" any of the issues pre-1998 with injector pump stuff. But like I said this thing is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Bob
Old 01-07-2003, 03:58 PM
bobby daniels

I'VE HAD CHEVYS FOR EVER AND NEVER HAD ANYWHERE LIKE THE TROUBLE ABOVE ,CHIT MAN ONE OF THOSE STORIES COULD MAKE A MOVIE !!!
THE 454 VORTEC IS GREAT BUT SOME THORLEY TRI-Y HEADERS ,(THOSE ONLY) ON IT AND YOU WILL HAVE A TOWING BEAST
THE 8.1 AND DURA MAX ARE THE REAL WAY TO GO
DON'T BY A GM DIESEL UNLESS ITS A DURAMAX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALSO I WOULD ADD A TRANS. COOLER B&M MAKE THE BEST IN LINE AFTER THE FACTORY COOLER ,USE SOME SYN. FLUID IN TRANNY FOR PROTECTION

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Registered

guess that would be my Movie.... bad thing is I'm a chevy guy too...this ford I have now is th eonly one I have ever owned...have had a few company provided fords over the years.. hated them...maybe I'm a jinx.......I mean my wife must be a jinx
Old 01-07-2003, 05:03 PM
bobby daniels

NA, JUST LUCK LIKE ME ,NONE IF NOT BAD

Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Go with a crewcab! I thought my Ford supercab would have enough room in the back, it does not. If your concerned about length, go with a short bed.

2. Dually is not necessary unless you will be towing alot and long distance. But they are definately cool looking.

3. Diesel, Diesel, Diesel. My Ford Powerstroke has been fantastic!!! I put in a 3 stage chip and the performance is great. Only had 1 minor problem in 4 yrs. and 100,000.

4. FYI, I just bought a 2003 F-350 crewcab dually shortbed with the 7.3 Powerstroke. I will let you know how it is when I pick it up.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sean, my first dually(which i didn't need but had to have) was a 454 which got 11 mpg no problems,great truck. My second dually was a 97 crew cab 4x4 6.5 td i bought with 14,000 miles and put 60,000 miles on it with no problems at all with anything, a great truck. I would buy another one if i needed too. 13mpg and towed 10,000lbs no problem, i loved that truck. My 3rd is a 02 chev duramax, allison 5spd auto which i needed to pull the 41apache and after 15,000 miles it has been a great truck with plenty of power. I agree stick with GM.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Sean, I drive a 1990 Chevy dually every day. It has 169,000+ miles, so far. Other than usual maintenance, no major problems. A 454 gas engine. Best I have gotten on mileage was around 14, on the road, towing is a different story. Mine is an extended cab. Love the extra room in the back.
I just went from Richmond,Va. to Illinois and back to pick up my new boat (32' Sunsation). Drove my brother-in-laws 99' 2500 Suburban with a vortec 454. About 15-16 on the way out and about 11-12 towing back. It tows better than my dually. Although, I think duallies are the coolest for tow vehicles. Good luck in your search, I looked for over a year.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again for all the info. If anyone knows of any good deals in their area, let me know...

I guess I gould still go for the 454 or the TD...depending on the truck, the milage and the condidtion...I am leaning towrds the TD for better gas mileage for towing...especially for the trip to Florida.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

I'm with GottaHaveIt, but then again I'm a Mopar fanatic. How can you possibly have to much truck . I use my dually as a daily driver and for towing a little boat. One thing I have found very comforting with the dually which most of you on the east side don't have to deal with is the fact that with the duals you have quite a bit less sway, and this is really nice when your traveling the passes (try a 6 or 7 percent windy downgrade that goes for miles). See which one is more comfortable going over the Grapevine with . Just my .02 since my truck sees real mountain passes fairly regularly.

Les

Quick Reply: Dually questions---need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.