Notices

Is this powerboat mag?

Old 01-09-2003, 07:48 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny thing...................about 5 years ago I helped a friend purchase a Formula SS........with equivalent power to the one tested (Mercruiser not Volvo). When brand new, It ran a little over 60 with 3 adults and at least 1/2 tank of fuel.

Of course that boat had no steps........The one tested here did.

Do your own math.

T2x
Old 01-09-2003, 07:49 AM
riskybusiness

Personally, I am pleased with POWERBOAT, and how they seem to have come back a bit to emphasize high-performance.

Unless I'm mistaking them for another mag (and I don't think I am), several years ago, I had cancelled my subscription because they were abounding with family-friendly run-of-the-mill pleasureboat reviews, and I got sick of it.

I think they have improved their high-perf coverage.

My $.02

Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't see APACHE, but Hawk marine was present.
I have no idea of why they would not be advertising the "NEW APACHE." LOL
Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 AM
jb
Registered

Many good points.
If they dont shuffle the boats they would be testing the same stuff over and over. do ya want to see another 25 then 27 Baja test. Or another 27 or 29 Fountain...NO
How about the 29 centurian Typhoon ..Its an amazing performance boat that does many things..its a ski boat. You should check it out. They should continue a wide array of boats as long as they are Performance related. Not just Offshore narrow beam long bow race boat types no one will ever own boats.
jb
Old 01-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally posted by T2x
Funny thing...................about 5 years ago I helped a friend purchase a Formula SS........with equivalent power to the one tested (Mercruiser not Volvo). When brand new, It ran a little over 60 with 3 adults and at least 1/2 tank of fuel.

Of course that boat had no steps........The one tested here did.

Do your own math.

T2x
T2x,

Do you happen to know what size Formula it was? My wife and I are seriously considering an SS or similar boat for our next purchase; it's just the best combination of utility (hey, we can put more than 3 people on the boat!) and performance. I'm doing a bit of research on the various models now, and I was under the impression that the 280 and 330 were always straight V's (and still are) and the 400 and the new 370 are stepped (and always have been).

Thanks in advance!

DR
Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

DOCKROCKER YOU ARE CORRECT
Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

During the winter I look forward to getting and reading all of my boating magazines, especially PBM. I still enjoy the magazine but during these months I need LOUD paint jobs, killer power setups, pictures of Teague launching the test boat........Oh well I'll have to wait till next month.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:36 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by dockrocker
T2x,

Do you happen to know what size Formula it was? My wife and I are seriously considering an SS or similar boat for our next purchase; it's just the best combination of utility (hey, we can put more than 3 people on the boat!) and performance. I'm doing a bit of research on the various models now, and I was under the impression that the 280 and 330 were always straight V's (and still are) and the 400 and the new 370 are stepped (and always have been).

Thanks in advance!

DR
It was a 33....and a great boat to spend the day on.......I spent many.

T2x
Old 01-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I think Powerboat does an excellent job and has been improving over the past year. I don't necessarilly read all the articles in my Time Magazine, Nat'l Geo, or other publications, but that doesn't make them bad magazines. I'll just skim over those boat tests that don't interest me and focus on the stuff that does. For the most part, they have a good selection of boat tests.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Registered

T2x,

Thanks - we've got some friends with a 33, but I think a 28' is more in our price range. The wife absolutely loves the boat; really the best of both worlds.

Here's hoping the stock market starts heading up!

Quick Reply: Is this powerboat mag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.