Notices

burban vs excursion

Old 01-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned them both- the late model 3/4 Suburban went bye-bye, the PSD Limited 'X' stayed. (I still have an '88 Burb 1/2 ton Silverado 4x4 with the 'real truck' axles in it- nice truck, pre- soccer-mom era)

The diesel may cost you extra money when comparing it to the Suburban, or the V10 for that matter, but the overall power supplied by it for towing (torque is what does the work!) is much better, as well as the fuel economy. My 'X' gets 20+mpg with the rather inexpensive mods I have done to it, and 14-15 towing. You won't see those numbers with a 7400 Vortec, and 8.1, or a V10. Not even close- (I've had a couple V-10 powered trucks too; great engine, poor economy, and not the power of the PSD.)

You could probably do a fair comparison with the 'X' to the older 3/4 ton Suburbans (up to '91) because of the similarity in suspensions and size. After that, it's comparing apples to oranges, true truck to soccer-mom station wagon. Although I used to be a pure GM guy, I no longer am when it comes to trucks and towing, and the last GM car fell apart long before it's time. The GM offering may have had a slightly more comfortable interior, and certainly a smoother ride, but the Limited 'X' has settled the score in interior, and I expect a truck ride if I buy a true truck. The ride given by the Ford is more than acceptable.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, the 'X' will still be available in 2004, but that is it. You can bet I will be getting another!
Old 01-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Registered

Fords V-10's don't make as much power as the old 7400's. Seems a waste to me. I can't understand why ford wouldn't do a little work to the 460 rather than develop another engine that makes less power. Non towing and towing in the mid weight ranges a stock PSD will NOT stay with the 8100. Very heavy loads could be another story...
Old 01-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Well Andreas bought the X! Karl parked right next to him with his D-max and we compared the two....heres my thoughts between the two...mind you i havnt driven the x yet so i cant say anything about that.

1. the D-max is WAY quieter! The X is almost if not atleast twice as loud while running
2. The X seems to have a little better room inside the engine compartment for working on the engine...D-max is a bit crowded in there
3. Style wise on the outside they both look great! I liek the "Big Rig" look of the Fords yet the GM's have a better "sleaker" design
4. Interior wise i have to give it to GM.....the X is just way to plain! When shelling out over $40K for a vechicle i want bells and whisltes! The more idiot lights the better i would think i got my moneys worth!

Leather in both feels nice! cant say wichones better yet cause both are new or next to new so we'll see how the leather wears in both trucks down the line

Mileage wise......Obviously the X is new and on its first tank of gas so it has yet to be seen........The D-max has been averaging about17-20 around town 22-25 on the highway....and towing is sort of anyones guess cause Karls been playing around with Chips and lifts right now so it keeps changing.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Registered

Wally, the X your friend has must be a 7.3, the new 6.0 is not as loud as d-max.