Notices

496 HO owners Beware!!!

Old 01-10-2003, 04:54 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 496 HO owners Beware!!!

This is a post I found on another Forum and thought it was worth posting!!!!!

Well Folks, It happened again! Another serious disaster happened 12-23-02, when I was out running down the ICW at about 70+ mph, and noticed the handling of the boat felt very sluggish and speed was dropping. I stopped my 230 SX with the 496 HO and immediately notice the swim platform was under water, so I shut down the motor and pulled open the sun pad ( engine hatch ) and bilges were very full of water!!! So, I turned on the bilge pump since the auto-on did not activate. I could not see where the water was coming from initially, so I started the motor again, only to eventually find the source was the lower water rail on the port exhaust manifold! There is a copper drain fitting, and due to the aluminum manifold there is a dissimular metal issue! This is commonly refered to as "galvanic corrosion" when two different metals are eating away eachother. The end result was disasterous from the stand point of filling the bilges with about 18" of salt water. I managed to save the boat from going under by bailing out the water with a 5 gallon bucket and calling Sea Tow on the cell phone, since the Coast Guard did not respond to the May-Day distress call I put out on the hand held VHF ( only 5 watts of power). They help me out and I got the boat on the trailer and over to a repair facility. I called my neighbor who works for Mercury Racing and he immediately told me those manifolds were on the "recall campaign" along with 3 others! I asked him if he could make a few calls about this and he did. I was then contacted by the Mercury Rep. and they are going to take care of the entire issue, due to it being there fault. Yes this incident made a real mess of my 230SX, but I am greatful they are fixing this, but wanted to alert all 496\ 8.1L owners to these recall notices. Please contact Mercruiser about the recalls, and HAVE your engine serial #'s when calling. Not all 496's will qualify, but why take the chance?
Old 01-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Registered

WOW, what a story, at least his boat did not sink
Old 01-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Registered

Update: Mercruiser agreed to give him a new engine, due to water ingestion ... He also has his bilge pump fixed. The owner of the vessel, going by the screen name "Godspeed," must be on the watchlist of most warranty departments. Said Godspeed on the Stingray forum: "So far I have a new outdrive, new hull, and new motor, anyone want want to bet when I get another boat?? " Sounds like he already has one.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:14 PM
aussie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, I heard about this earlier & the state rep. over here has checked them & reckons mine arent affected but I'll keep an eye on them !!

cheers,
Dave

Old 01-11-2003, 08:39 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have an idea of what serial #'s are affected?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

#m025000-m095324.We only had one failure a 100% saltwater boat. Freshwater boats are not likely affected but Merc wanted them all checked. They used a brass hose connector in an aluminum water rail which caused saltwater corrosion to the aluminum.The fix is a plastic connector,unless severe corrosion has started, then replace the water rail.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

Man that's F**KED up!!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:18 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What were they thinking
Old 01-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Second one I've heard of. A local friend (Donziman2) had this happen last summer as well, only on the starboard side. BillR happened to be riding along and gave him a hand. I inspected mine afte that and so far both sides appears new looking (brass) and no problems. But I would like to know serial numbers for a sense of confidence...
Old 01-11-2003, 04:56 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Pretty much if you have the brass connectors, you have the ones that need replacing

Quick Reply: 496 HO owners Beware!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.