Notices

Do You Rack or Trailer?

Old 01-13-2003, 03:56 PM
MIdnightRider

Default Do You Rack or Trailer?

Just wondering who uses Rack-In/Out Service for their boat. What size boat you have, how long the service is provided, and what your costs are. Or is your driveway home port?

It is that time of year when the Marina will be wanting their deposit for In/Out service. Here on the West side of MI our service typically starts May 1 and goes though Oct 1. In Grand Haven there are 5 Marinas that provide service with pricing ranging based on the quality of the marina. Grand Isle Marina charged $1550 for a 25' boat and up based on size. I had to move to the Wharf Marina with my 42 Fountain because they were the only group willing to do it, for a nominal fee of $2700 not including winter or trailer storage. The ease of this service is unbeatable, I have been doing Rack service for now my 6th year. But the expense is allot. Are most here doing this or trailering? I probably use my boat 3 times more because I can just decide to head out whenever, not to mention my current boat is just a pig to move around, it loads and unloads easy(IT MUST BE MY MANNING MARINE TRAILER!), but that is it. What is the consensus. Midnight

PS- Mark, you are holding slip #12 for me at Smoke, Right?

Last edited by MIdnightRider; 01-13-2003 at 03:59 PM.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I rack store my boat at a large Hi&Dry facility here in St. Pete.
My boat is indoors, on racks that I had modified to fit perfectly. The boat never sees direct sunlight when stored.
The cost is $211.86 per month for my 25 outlaw. I have unlimited in and out service and have the use of a wet slip on floating concrete docks behind a breakwall at any time.

The convenience is great, especially when going home from work and having the boat fueled and ready go by time you get there!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Baja Daze. I only have a 211 Liberator, but used the rack for about a year until the big ax at work. I used the boat much more than when I have to trailer.

Mine was $150 per month with unlimited in-out service.

Les

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 01-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trailer from home each time...272 Formula loads easily and can get cheap gas on the way to the ramp
$350 for ramp Apr 15 to Oct 15 verses $1600 fork lift/ rack stored
Old 01-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Intolerant1

Trailer mainly because we boat all over. From the Chain of lakes and the Illinois River in Illinois to Northern Michigan.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And you're absolutely right, I probably use my boat at least 3 times more simply because it's so convenient. On certain days, trailering and ramp antics would definately be the deciding factor.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

No rack service available here.

I rent a 28' slip April 15-Oct 15 for $675 year. The docks are owned by the City parks Dept. The only service is a gas dock and even that is only evenings and weekends. Trailer and/or dry storage is also included. You can have your own lift and leave it in the slip year round.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ramp mine, $30.00 for the year
Old 01-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I think you know my the answer to this question Midnight!!

Homeport is basically my driveway. Like to tinker with it on weeknights when I'm not boating. But mine is only 24' so it's not that hard to trailer. I even manage to put over 100 hours on most seasons.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Registered

Nice, indoor rack storage for my 29 Fever year round. About $750 quarterly (it would be a bit more than $250/month if I paid monthly). Can't park it at my apartment complex and don't have an adequate tow vehicle anyway. (Don't say it - I can't afford both right now. ) This way, she's out of the elements and they have work racks for cleaning or working on her. New place going up down the street from where I am now has promised me racks fitted to my step hull.

Quick Reply: Do You Rack or Trailer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.