Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Okay guys, don't fall out of your seats but... >

Okay guys, don't fall out of your seats but...

Notices

Okay guys, don't fall out of your seats but...

Old 01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
baja_daddy

Thumbs up Okay guys, don't fall out of your seats but...

My boss wants to get his first boat and he is up betwen a 37' AT or OT. I told him the OT is the way to go with his$$$ so he e-mailed Bill at National Marine....and actually got a quick response back. This is a guy that has never been on a performance boat and knows no one in the boating industry and he found National Marine on his own...Now I turned him onto this cool little place. Just wanted people to know that maybe National Marine isn't as bad as we think

Old 01-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boat show starts Friday for 2 weeks. Probably get a special deal!

Cordell
Old 01-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
I don't know. The Boat Show is coming up. If I were spending those $$$ I'd head to Miami and look at a few boats. I know A-T's going to display to 37's. One with a center cuddy entrance and one with the side entrance. Definately worth consideration before anyone throws down their hard earned cash.

I agree, thats what I'm lookin at.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Registered

Give your boss some good advice. Tell him to shop, go to the factory, talk to current owners and ride in a boat with similar power etc. Do not buy a boat like this without going for a ride and getting comfortable with the people who are going to be building the boat.

I took 18 months on my search......OK I may not be normal..... but shopping can be half the fun
Old 01-14-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He should absolutely go to the Miami show, and should take you with him as a consultant or me if he wants

Also if this is his first powerboat, maybe you should turn him onto OSO, and make sure whatever boat he buys that the MFG or dealer spends a day with him driving it and getting to know how it operates.

Will
Old 01-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's an OT??
Old 01-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OT = A boat and a half
Old 01-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Guys,

I don't want to rain on anybody's party, but this is the guy's FIRST BOAT. I am more than a little concerned with turning a newbie loose with an 80mph 10,000 lb performance boat.

I don't care if he's Michael Andretti or an airline pilot - he needs to start on a lesser scale.

Please suggest to him to buy a used 26' Chaparral Deckboat and spend 3 or 4 months with it. Those boogers hold their value well, are beamy and stable, run in the 40's, and have great visibility. If he's a quick study, THEN I give him the thumbs up.

Port tab, Port trim, Stbd tab, Stbd trim, Port shift, Port throttle, Stbd shift, Stbd throttle, Duplicate gauges, GPS, Depth sounder, VHF, Stereo, Bowrise and limited visibilty over the bow, Sluggish and heavy handling hull at speeds under 30.

I AM SORRY. THAT IS TOO MUCH STUFF FOR A 1st timer. I don't care how much money he has - I don't care how experienced he is at any non-boating activity.

Do EVERYBODY A FAVOR. Put him in the deckboat.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I gotta agree, thats too much boat for a newbie. You also should steer him to a safe boating class. The coast Gaurd one may save him 10% on his insurance. It did me.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Registered

Excellent points Guys

Quick Reply: Okay guys, don't fall out of your seats but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.