Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Runs. What attracts you?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41084-poker-runs-what-attracts-you.html)

Reckless32 01-14-2003 09:06 PM

Poker Runs. What attracts you?...

Got into a discussion earlier this evening about what exactly attracts folks to a particular poker run. We're in the early stages of putting together our 2003 poker run in August and want to continually grow in size and production as each year goes by.

Is it the prize money/item awarded winning hands?
Is it the challenging course to be run?
Is it the party/s associated with the run?
Is it the registration fee being affordable with travel costs?
Is it the goodies you get as part of the above?
What distance would you travel?

Well, you get my drift on what I'm asking. Right now we'll (Little Creek Ragatta/Hampton Roads Powerboat Association) have two party's with bands, prizes, long varying waters to run, historic sights along the way, and lots of local media coverage to name a few. Last year price was $75, this year it's $150 with better prizes and better party's (as in plural). The kicker is proceeds go to St Judes Children's Research Hospital an honorable cause.

As the time goes by I'll be putting out more details as we put them together, so I/we'll welcome your input and stay tuned for more info....

little princess 01-14-2003 09:33 PM

it's knowing that other awsome boats will be there

rbtnt 01-14-2003 09:40 PM

dockage to see the boats
120 - 140 mile run
less than 150 boats
activities on two nights
Cards stops that you can get in and out of, without waiting in line for a long time.

VelocityMike 01-14-2003 09:51 PM

I would have to say getting to go to new places and boat in diffrent areas. We go to Sarasota every year for the past three years now and love it. Its warm and sunny and you get to see some awesome boats. I love to travel so I guess its right up my alley.

little princess 01-14-2003 09:59 PM

Getting to meet more of all you wonderful OSO people

ChrisK 01-14-2003 10:25 PM

I would say a combination of reasonablr cost and entertainment value. I have gone to the run in sarasota and destin, love them both. But would say the destin run is better for a few reasons. It cost the same to enter both (around $600 a boat) but the destin run gave out better prizes (two custom bikes plus more).. its all about precieved value. If your run is less expensive, and you have a great party(or 2) then people will like that.. you dont HAVE to give out great prizes. As we all know boaters just want a reason to party for the most part and talk boats.... Give them a good reason to do that, and your already winning.

Reckless32 01-14-2003 10:39 PM

"Bang for the buck" and "awesome boats" is exactly what we're trying to accomplish. The area's I listed above only touch on the "typical" things one looks for in an event. I know there's also logistics of meetings, accomodation info, ramping info, etc. etc. that makes an event "easy" to attend. Does having helo pictures taken or video's sway you one way or another?...

ChrisK 01-14-2003 11:14 PM

That would not sway me from going to a run or not. I have never seen a picture or video from one yet!...(ok so i have during dinner at sarasota, but thats all)

kitten 01-14-2003 11:28 PM

Nice bunch of people! (www.opbafl.org) St Petersburg, FL

WILDTHING TAZ 01-14-2003 11:28 PM

GOOD QUESTION.I RUN APPROX 12-15 RUNS A YEAR.I ALWAYS FIND MYSELF AT THE SAME 6-7 EACH YEAR.THAT 6-7 THAT I LIKE THE MOST HAVE ENTRY FEE'S OF 150-275 DOLLARS.APPROX 75-150 BOATS,80-100 MILE RUN,1000-5000 CASH FIRST PLACE MONEY,SPONSOR GIVE AWAYS,GREAT BOATS,SUPPER PEOPLE.I FEEL THE BANG FOR THE BUCK MUST BE THEIR.AFTER ALL FOR ME IT CANT BE THE MONEY.I HAVE NOT WON BUT ONLY 100.00 IN 3 YEARS.(SOONER OR LATER I MIGHT WIN A TANK OF GAS)I LOOP THE US 2 TIMES A YEAR AND SEE WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN"T.MOST OF ALL THE RUN MUST BE ORGINIZED WELL. NOBODY LIKES BULL****.WELL PLANED RUNS HAVE ALL THE BOATS THEY NEED FOR A GOOD TIME.:cool: :p :p RON BENDER