Notices

Duramax wins!

Old 01-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

My 2500 496 Avalanche will whip all of 'em...

...in a Butt-Ugly contest, right Troutly?

Hmm, do we need to run a Pull Off as late night entertainment at the OSO Mid-Atlantic Winter Chill-Out? We ARE in Virginia!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!! MC you got me on the Renault allainace thing !!!
I did look up my truck in Consumers Reports and they rated it high for not having problems.
Now maybe the 1/2 trucks are a different story.

Hey Mitch ,
Bring it on !! How much does that X weight ? Mine is 6500# , I'm sure you got that covered though.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've pulled with both. And pulled both with WAY OVER WEIGHT LOADS. And, TRYING to start something, the Chevy with the Duramax and the Allison pulls much nicer. The Duramax is on its 3rd year and this is the 1st year for the 6.0L Ford. If Ford can make an automatic transmission. Lets also see a fuel mileage report for a 6.0L with 3.73 gears.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:17 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by traviss
um not to start anything...

but we took a ford with the 7.3 deisal( boss's truck ) and hooked hitch to hitch with the work truck ( gm dually/duramax)...

and the Ford pulled it all the way down the subdivision street

Travis, Try starting the Chevy up next time. I really don't understand you diesel guys? Who cares which stink motor is stronger. I mean lets face it the Ford transmission is a POS. So what good is the motor when you smoke your tranny? Lets do a pull off with a 454 and see what happens. With diesel costing more than super unleaded and the cost of the diesel option you have to drive VERY many miles before it pays off. Than add $1600 for injectors, injection pumps, new batteries, every 2 years. I just don't understand it You would think everyone whould be running out and putting powerjoke motors in thier boats if they were so great. I mean it all just comes down to if your happy with you truck, just drive it and enjoy it I have 2 Ford PSD trucks in my tow truck co. fleet (has to do with a contract we have with the local Ford dealers we work with) so this is not just a bash on Ford. But I don't think they pull anything close to the 454 trucks we have.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:13 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by traviss
um not to start anything...

but we took a ford with the 7.3 deisal( boss's truck ) and hooked hitch to hitch with the work truck ( gm dually/duramax)...

and the Ford pulled it all the way down the subdivision street

Travis, Try starting the Chevy up next time. I really don't understand you diesel guys? Who cares which stink motor is stronger. I mean lets face it the Ford transmission is a POS. So what good is the motor when you smoke your tranny? Lets do a pull off with a 454 and see what happens. With diesel costing more than super unleaded and the cost of the diesel option you have to drive VERY many miles before it pays off. Than add $1600 for injectors, injection pumps, new batteries, every 2 years. I just don't understand it You would think everyone whould be running out and putting powerjoke motors in thier boats if they were so great. I mean it all just comes down to if your happy with you truck, just drive it and enjoy it I have 2 Ford PSD trucks in my tow truck co. fleet (has to do with a contract we have with the local Ford dealers we work with) so this is not just a bash on Ford. But I don't think they pull anything close to the 454 trucks we have.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Registered

OKay hold up a minute
THE 6.0 LITER DIESELS ARE NOT OUT YET
So I think your lying

You want to know how I know ?
I just bought a 2003 F350 dually
I got the 7.3

6.0 are on hold for now until end of winter
was supposed to be fall but got pushed back

Try again

Jason
Old 01-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry Jay13, The new 6.0 is out and i did drive one about 3weeks ago. And there is a ton of them out there.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I drove one too. I'm a GM guy and I was very impressed with the power of the Ford 6.0 I drove a Duramax right after that. In seat of the pants feel I thought the Ford had more power. The Duramax was quieter and the GM truck just plain rode nicer. The Ford was more of a TRUCK, while the GMC was more carlike. It was not to different than my 97 1/2 ton. It's just a matter of taste. I did think that the new tranny in the Ford down shifted rather hard. I decided to keep my truck for another year and see how the 6.0 and tranny do in the new Ford. I'm still not sure I want a diesel either. Just my .02

Last edited by Gary C; 01-17-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Registered

I posted this in the Burban/Excursion thread. I know for a fact a PSD 7.3 won't even come close to staying with a 496 in everyday driving OR towing in the mid weights. Very heavy loads could be another story...Never tried it. My 2500 brb w/496 WASTED my friends F250 PSD with no loads from a stoplight to 80 mph. I mean like 8 truck lengths.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by gmhdfan
Okay, I admit the Ford tranny needs work, but hopefully the new one is a huge improvement.
Let's get one thing straight--by the time the injectors needed to be replaced in the diesel, the 454 would have been already rebuilt-ESPECIALLY IF YOU TOW HEAVY LOADS!!! LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE WITH YOUR 8MPG IN THE 454!!!
When you compare the long life of the diesel motor, and the savings in fuel mileage, and the resale value--how can you go wrong??
look at it this way, if you keep the truck for a few years and put..say 50K miles on it, the resale value is better than a gas motor, and over that time you saved alot of money on fuel/gas.
If you keep the truck for say...10 yrs and have 150K miles on it, the deiesel truck would be worth TWICE as much as the gas truck, plus all the fuel savings, plus the motor would be still running!! try that with your gas motor!
Here's a FACT for you also... over 98% of all the Ford PSD ever built are still on the road.
I have a'99 Ford PSD that has 215K miles on it and I have replaced the tranny 2x (one was because the Diablo chip destroyed the torque converter and the tranny had to be cleaned out) so really one tranny. I have replaced 4 injectors and both batteries(batteries because I wanted to) and just regular maintenence, the usual stuff. I was doing alot of towing with this truck, usually 10,000lbs -16,000lbs. I was getting approx. 11.5 MPG towing these heavy loads on the highway. This truck has been a friggin workhorse!!! Try doing all that with that mileage with your 454!!! You could buy a new PSD with the money you would save on fuel.
I am a true bliever of the diesel, it is great!!

Quick Reply: Duramax wins!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.