Interesting afternoon Don Smith Boats

Notices

Interesting afternoon Don Smith Boats

Old 01-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Interesting afternoon Don Smith Boats

I had finished my days work and got an Invite from Mr. Don Smith to visit his Factory on Dixie Highway.

What I saw there; was all I can say is truly remarkable, as some of you know he has a line of large boats up to 60 Feet.

There was a 45 Foot Fishing Boat on the floor and I saw there was the cleanest /Nicest/most well thought out boat construction I have ever seen: Like even holes in the stringers were sleeved and glassed. 11/2"Core in the hull sides, cockpit sole = unreal stiffness. I saw the only best in material and they use it there!!

The Gunnel cap was boxed for stiffness, the use of unidrictional fabric and Kevlar was also very evident

Everything is bedded in Adhesive and Bonded with fiberglass EVERTHING!!the Boats are built to last a Half Century!

When I walked in there was a Parker Swager behind the boat and a room with thousands of dollars in stainless steel hydraulic fittings every hose is made right there.

Everything was first rate the raw water system/strainers/cooler assembly, Fuel system and an unbelievable hydraulic system (steering Tabs) the Best Is Yet to Come!!!

Up in the second floor a very neat electoral room where the Harnesses are made; all MS spec Switches and Plug connectors Carbon dash panels LED Indicators and on and on.

The drive system his own Patented POWER-VENT an real eye opener and when watching a video (Military test) where he power backs into the beach which was filled with sand and bricks time after time and just takes off !! The jet drive boats could not do that!

Then with like a dozen people on the Boat it Leaves….. guess who? Mr. Reggie!! (42+Bulldogs well he asked for it) sitting! when they raced (Don only had 350 Yanmars in the boat)
www.smithboats.com
Old 01-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Try this in a Fountain!
Attached Thumbnails Interesting afternoon Don Smith Boats-45-smith.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
looseboat (10-25-2023)
Old 01-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That Boat has 10000 Hours on it!
Old 01-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fred there is usually a Boat in the water at the beach show take a free ride.

The drive system is something else Way Cool !! and the thing is indestructible aquamet 22 Shafts the powervent system is Idiot proof you put the throttles on the dash and go! The Navy likes it!

I will try to post more Pictures

Maybe I will get some of the Internal Structure absolutely beautiful and the rigging again top notch.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw one of teir center consoles two years ago at shooter fort lauderdale and fell in love with it. it lookes to be built like a tank and had a well thought out cockpit it was truelly a work of art
later
Old 01-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've spent some time on don smith boats...he's a good guy and knows his **** like no one else!!...from designing speakers(like no others out there)!....to designing marine componets and drive systems. if there is a better way to do something on a boat....don will design and make it himself! i lived at don's house for a week, so i got a chance to check out a ton of **** he's done in the past. someone on the board thought his boats were like 250K....i've been on one that had that in just electronics i think!!..i'm not sure if i could afford the anchor he uses!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 08:35 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 1
Try this in a Fountain!
No thanks.....I'll watch from shore.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

WOW, thanks for the info Steve!!

Dean
Old 01-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Don Smith is a good guy and he REALY knows what he is doing.
I had the oportunity to ride on his 42 center console and the ride is amazing with the Powervent System and a pair of Yanmar engines.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Don builds one hell of a boat. A friend of mine has one and i have been on the boat several times. We took Dons 42 to Great Harbour last christmas . Whan we left Ft. Lauderdale it was 9 to 12 and we made it with very little damage to the boat. there was more damage to us then the boat. We took the boat back over to paradise island for christmas this year and had 5 footers and ran the boat at 35 knots and the boat only went airborn 2 time the whole trip. if you ever get a chance to ride in one take it. Don has pictures of our trip last year in his office.

Quick Reply: Interesting afternoon Don Smith Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.