Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are dealers dropping Donzi??? >

Why are dealers dropping Donzi???

Notices

Why are dealers dropping Donzi???

Old 01-17-2003, 09:04 AM
surfacetension

Question Why are dealers dropping Donzi???

Why do I continue to see dealers Blowing out new Donzi,s?? Is this some kind of dealer shakeup?? or are the dealers dropping the line on thier own / What,s the real story?

Old 01-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Ranman

IMO Donzis are a hard sell. When a Donzi is sitting next to a less expensive boat say Baja for example, it gets tough to sell the Donzi since most prospective buyers don't understasnd the differences, that is except for the large price premium on the Donzi.

Another issue I've heard of goes like this: A Boat dealer on a relativly small lake say Winnipesaukee becomes a Donzi dealer. On lake Winni, Classics and smaller ZX's are popular, but the lake is really too small for say a 33 or 45 footer. Problem is in order to get the Classics and small Zx's, the dealer must sell the big boats that no one on the small lake wants. Add to this that the Dealers must buy the boats from the factory and deal with the sale (or no sale ie depreciation), you can see why some dealers don't want to carry the line.

One last thing to consider is that the difference between list and the actual price you pay can be huge. I've seen a 22 Classic listed for 55-60K and then sell for 45K. If list is 60K and the Blowout price is 50K, it might look good to the unsuspecting buyer, but if the same boat can be had elsewhere for 45K, is it that great of a deal? The buyer really needs to know the market rate and what a good deal is.

Old 01-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my area I have seen shake ups with Powerquest, Sunsation, Fountain, and Formula in the last couple of years. The changing of the guard.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:59 AM
srpbaer

Ranman, why don't me all the "differences "between the cheaper Baja and the overpriced Donzi. I ve owned both and I do see a big difference between the two...the Baja was a better performing boat for the dollar.....Don't get wrong, I liked both boats, just not the fact I paid too much for the donzi and getting nothing in return. To answer the question...very simple.....Donzi is overpriced. Just my .02 worth.......I guess the "war" is on now!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2003, 11:14 AM
surfacetension

I must say Donzi is very proud of thier boats based on $$$

Old 01-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I think it is the money thing. Offshore Performance has just picked up Donzi though. Other boat lines: Cig, Sonic, and Monza. All of them, not on the cheap side.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by srpbaer
Ranman, why don't me all the "differences "between the cheaper Baja and the overpriced Donzi. I ve owned both and I do see a big difference between the two...the Baja was a better performing boat for the dollar.....Don't get wrong, I liked both boats, just not the fact I paid too much for the donzi and getting nothing in return. To answer the question...very simple.....Donzi is overpriced. Just my .02 worth.......I guess the "war" is on now!!!!!!!
I too have owned both Donzi and Baja. I bought the Donzi simply because of the legend. Lots of stuff came apart on that Donzi.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Registered

29 Outlaw,
What year Donzi did youown? I know when they were part of the Mercury family they were not what they are today or were in the past.

If you look at the details of the fit and finish of a Donzi and a Baja you will see where the extra money goes. I am not saying Baja is a bad boat just not as "finished" as the Donzi's. As Bang for the Buck goes it is hard to touch Baja.

This is all just my humble opinion.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SmilingBob
29 Outlaw,
What year Donzi did youown? I know when they were part of the Mercury family they were not what they are today or were in the past.

If you look at the details of the fit and finish of a Donzi and a Baja you will see where the extra money goes. I am not saying Baja is a bad boat just not as "finished" as the Donzi's. As Bang for the Buck goes it is hard to touch Baja.

This is all just my humble opinion.

My Donzi was a 1995 that I ordered direct from the factory in November 1994. It was right after they were taken over by American Marine Holdings
Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Registered

If this is Donzi vs Baja, Baja you get more boat for money than donzi, our "19" is 21' 2" w/the glass swim platform. Donzi is more quality than quanity. I rode in a 22classic donzi with the 454, our 21' 2" baja has a 4.3 , the donzi seemed a lot more in control turing at 55 than our baja does at 45 going strait. It might be the added weight of the 454 kept it planted better, or the trim tabs, etc.... Donzis have a lot more behind them, Aronow, better finish, and as for the warranty work..... is either of the companies going to ever step up?

Quick Reply: Why are dealers dropping Donzi???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.