Notices

Chevy Avalanche

Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Avalanche

Thinking about buying an Avalanche. Anybody have one? Anybody have any input? My biggest concern is the midgate.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Personally, I don't care for the looks of the Avalanche. I think a crew cab pickup looks better and has the same functionality. My .02, no offense meant.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Registered

I have an '02 that I picked up in May, I have had no problems with it. I'll admit I have only dropped the mid gate a couple of times for hauling. The only thing is if you are going to do a lot of hauling of items where you'll have to drop the mid gate I would not reconmend an Avalanche. The problem is that when the gate is down it creates a lot of air movment from the back to the front so you get a lot of dust and other trash flying in from the back. I have the 1500 and tow a 26' Donzi with and I have had no problems with the towing capablity of it.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

My only problem with the crewcab is the length. The steel body Avalanche is coming out now and looks a LOT better than the plastic one.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

i had one when they first came out -- as for the looks you either like it or don't -- doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I didn't use the midgate much -- but i loved taking out the window and riding around like that. I wish they would have made that window electric and roll down into the midgate.

generally it ran very well -- and drove super nice on the highway even when towing.

I only traded to get out of payments so i could buy my boat -- got a 24 pantera and an f250 for the price of the avalanche.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a 2002 2500 Avalanche; every option; white, charcoal interior. I have added new rims, tires, airbags, grill, spoiler, floormats, bedliner, nerf bars, K&N FIPK, Hypertech PPIII, and true dual all polished SS flowmaster exhaust; as well as a few other things. It is a towing beast. I had tranny problems for the first few months. It was fixed when they replaced the tranny fluid pump, had to go in 3 times to figure it out though. I also added a spray in bedliner as condensation and slight rain leakage under the rubber cargo mat was causing small rust spots. All gone now. Some have had problems with water leaking thru the mid gate. I have had none, but I get some water in the bed on a heavy rain.

Also check out:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/

It is OSO for the AV.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-17-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:55 PM
WickedWon

Get the dually, we're gonna talk ya into more "outa state " events.

JD

Old 01-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Roy

Have a 02 and love it. Rides great and love the room. The only problem I've seen is the rubber tray under the hard cover. I've cracked the tray ,but it still hasn't leaked.

Old 01-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

BTW, Troutly is going to chime in and say they are Ugly.

Roy, do you want to buy my rubber mat? I am not going to use it again. I also have the 2002 factory plastic covered running boards (assist steps) for sale. Both have only a few months use.

Changes from 2002 to 2003:
Wider console, 6 disc in dash changer available, rear radio controls available, XM radio available, cladding on a 2003 is slightly darker than 2002, and they changed the steering wheel to allow for steering wheel radio controls. Door buttons also went more 'import like.' Yellow, and different blue now available.

Biggest complaint: The tailgate does not lock with the power door locks/remote, but the website above has listed on it, directions and parts to make this happen.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Registered

Madcow. We (my wife) had a 1500 Z66 and we loved it. We just traded it last week for a 2003 2500, white, loaded up (even with the dvd entertainment system).......love it.

Big difference in the 2002 vs 2003 is all electronic stuff, folding mirrors, dual area climate control, XM radio...etc. (and man does it move out). This one has the 3.73's which is good for 10K. Big test will be seeing the difference in towing this year. My guess (no doubt) stability is less than my K3500 dually, but midrange and up, towing should be better.

Only comment I have is the tires are a bit narrow, and we will change that soon.

Good luck !!

Bob