Notices

wtf , boat salemen grrrr

Old 01-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped in a place once that had a few boats sitting out front that looked like they were for sale. I was looking at a 28ft. Scarab with a 454(that had a for sale sign on it, but no price) and a guy came out and asked me what I was doing, I asked him how much for the boat? He said that it wasnt for sale the owner just kept it parked there
So then another guy comes out and asks me if I am interested in the boat So we talked for a while and he told me that he was in fact the owner and the boat was for sale. Then he procceeded to tell me that this boat would go 90mph So I listened to him blab for a while then gave him my Phone # and told him to call me if he decided to drop his (outrageous price) He called me a few weeks later and asked me if I was still interested, I asked him about the price and he told me that he was just a broker and the owner wouldnt budge on the price.

the sad thing is if he could have just kept his story straight he may have been able to sell a boat
Old 01-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Registered

Cool

That's not that far from me...

...need some pics and a "HH" survey?

Old 01-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Steve_H

HH survey? uh oh , i have a feeling this is going to cost me.

how bout a free ticket to get into party cove at Loto good 365 days a year. since its the off season ill throw in 2 tickets so you can bring CHAOS with you but you have to use them before april.

all kidding aside , if your "really" close and bored ide love to avoid the cost of flying out to find a piece of chit. besides , you cali people are kinda scarey. im afraid ide wont to stay.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally posted by lotoparty
...if your "really" close and bored ide love to avoid the cost of flying out to find a piece of chit. besides , you cali people are kinda scarey...
No worries!

Scary? you bet...

Actually, I have to go to San Bernadino with Mrs. HH tomorrow afternoon...I'm sure she'll love poking around a boat lot...

If you want me to do it, I need you to do two things:

1. e-mail me the address, any specific things you want me to look for...I'll snap a bunch of digital pics, make any obvious observations, and e-mail them to you on Sunday. My e-mail address is [email protected].

2. Change your name to "HavasuParty"...

Last edited by Havasu Hangin; 01-17-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally will not deal with brokers. What good could possibly come from it? Almost all of them dont know what the hell theyre talking about. My last boat was new and I dealt straight with the owner of the dealership. All good deals will sell themselves!
Considering I do know “What the Hell Im talking about” when it comes to Brokering boats let me shed a little light on the up sides. First of all if you are buying a boat it does not cost you a dime to hire a broker. The broker will be paid buy the seller when the deal is finalized. Most (Under California Law, All) brokers are licensed and bonded as are the salespersons working under their broker license. A state Knowledge test is given and a Sheriff background check is run. We don’t just walk in and give selling other peoples boats a shot. All paperwork through Department of Motor Vehicles and Documentation Papers are done by the broker to insure a legal and final transfer of title for all assets involved. Sea Trial is usually conducted with your broker on board and in my case I put the boat through its paces. I arrange for Survey and Engine survey of most every boat I survey. Not to mention the fact that before the Buyer even looks at a boat I get him/her a complete portfolio of other boats on the market, asking prices, past sales prices, NADA prices, and when the time comes to buy I will call rigger and engine builders for history on the boat. I have traveled across the U.S. to get clients boats site unseen and have hit the mark every time. All moneys are 100% refundable in my escrow account and I do ALL the haggling. I will insult a seller with whatever price my buyer gives without feeling bad about it. Its simple, I have a list of ten other boats if that person does not want to sell. I arrange Insurance prices, finance (And I bet I can get you lower than 99% of the average person walking in off the street), and any other aftermarket entity the buyer wants. Considering every buyer that has bought a boat from me has got this service for free, I would call that a hell of a deal. As far as listings go. If someone wants to list there boat with me I package pictures and specs and have another broker that takes listings do it. #1 question…If I buy a boat from a broker, the brokers fee gets added into the cost of the boat, so its really not a deal…WRONG. Boats sell for a market price, Not market plus Broker fee. If someone hires a broker to sell there boat they are getting ride of a headache…Dealing with Buyers, Surveyors, and Banks. To most it is worth the 10%. A good Broker keeps the process legitimate and Legal. Do a check before hiring a broker. And if you were buying a boat, why would you not use a broker?

Oh yes, one last thing…And I’m never ever sick at sea!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Big E

Why would you not use a broker????? Why would you???? Unless you have more money or time than you know what to do with. I drive by the broker lots at LOTO and laugh. All I see are boats sitting out in the weather with their covers half on. I looked at a couple of brokered boats last summer and you look at the interior of these boats and the seats are all walked on and dirty. Right away I came to the conclusion that I will never list my boat with a broker just due to the fact that it is not their boat and they don't care if it is taken care of while it is on their lot. If you don't have time to show your own boat, take care of it and follow through with the paper work at the end of the sale, you have no business owning a boat, unless you are so lazy and filthy rich you don't care. If thats the case, then why own a boat when you can rent one, because that is what your brokered boat will look like after it gets off the lot. I am just going off on the brokers at LOTO, obviously, I'm sure there are reputable brokers who give a damn in other parts of the USA, but I have yet to see one.

Last edited by Big E; 01-17-2003 at 09:15 PM.

Old 01-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

IDRPSTF......You had a good teacher didn't you?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally posted by IDRPSTF
A state Knowledge test is given and a Sheriff background check is run.
Is the state knowledge test the same one you have to take to get a green card?

Just kidding obviously. It definately sounds like you are at the top of your profession. I think this is one of those "one bad apple spoiling the whole barrel" type of deals. A few knuckleheads giving the entire profession a bad name. It's a shame. I have bought two boats from a broker and had great experiences each time. They did everything. All I had to do was take a sea trial and write a check.

Mike
Old 01-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Big E

sounds like he did.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have time to show your own boat, take care of it and follow through with the paper work at the end of the sale, you have no business owning a boat, unless you are so lazy and filthy rich you don't care.
That is somewhat a good point. Although most people buy boats to enjoy riding in them, not selling then when they are ready to move up or move on. As we have seen in many OSO posts, people give deposites and want them back. Go on Sea Trials with no intent to buy, and drive off after writting bad checks. I know of a guy that got a boat in FL and made it to New York with a B.S. Cashiers check. $250K Boat.
My point was when buying a boat use a broker. It does not cost a dime. When selling a boat beware!!! It will cost 10% (Industry standard) and if you do not check up on how the broker has treated boats in the past then you could be in for a suprise. I currantly have over $1 Million in boats listed at other brokerages for my clients. I feel I cannot provide the service for advertising that some other brokers do. So I pre package the listing and hand them off. I do keep an eye on them. That is service.
Ice Angel, Honey...Dont believe everything you hear. He was good at what he did out here in CA. But I got my PHD at the school of hard Knocks.
Big Mike: No Nessestito Esquella parra La Imigra! Senor!