Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine Failures Thanks to Wiseco (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41457-engine-failures-thanks-wiseco.html)

Goodfella 01-20-2003 06:27 AM

Engine Failures Thanks to Wiseco

Had 2 Super Cat Engine failures last year in J.E.M. Motorsports40 Motion. Both failures were due to Wiseco piston failure. Has anyone come across this same situation. We were sponsored by them and were given free pistons. They were the most expensive free pistons we have ever got.

NO THANKS WISECO!

Turbojack 01-20-2003 06:30 AM

How did the pistons fail?

302SR1 01-20-2003 06:37 AM

I would be curious what failed as well. I use Wiseco as well, Exclusively.

I use them in all my Drag Race motors with a ton of Nitrous (600+ HP worth) and also use them in my boat.

The only problems I have had with them was induced by me. ( Lean Nitrous Tune Up)

I have always found very accurate as far as roundness and sizing and finish.

Audiofn 01-20-2003 06:57 AM

You mean SIEZE CO!!! In the outboards they are notorious to siezing up in the top of the stroke and having the wrist pin rip out of the bottom or the piston and well you know the rest of what happens

Jon

Mark in So. MD 01-20-2003 07:17 AM

DITTO what Audio said.

Had them in a stock Merc 200 and also put them in my 91 2.4L Bridgeport, SIEZEco is definietly the best way to describe them.

26scarab 01-20-2003 07:24 AM

Well I don't know about 4 stroke situations but in 2 stroke snowmobile applications it is well known NOT to use them. They seem to cold sieze quite often , even when the motor has been properly warmed up.

Wally 01-20-2003 08:21 AM

I agree with what the last 3 just said about "Sieze-co" Ive had numerous problems on the 2-stroke side......the last time being in a snowmobile. I was told all about the "proper" warmup and stuff yet even when its fully warmed up and babied it still went and riped the wristpin out! :mad:
Never tried to use them in a car/boat engine so i wont comment on that :)

Ratchet 01-20-2003 08:42 AM

I know a few people that use them, never used them myself though. Currently, I am running, Lunati rods, & Lunati / Taylor Pistons, and haven't had an issue in 5 seasons.

Just outta curiosity, what's everyone else using for piston & rods ?

mrv8outboard 01-20-2003 11:50 AM

i use them in my two strokes and they work very well. i also use them in my repairs. i do not over bore the cylinder to compensate like alot of shops do. in two stokes i have found most failures are caused by cold siezing in the cylinders. this is usually not the pistons fault. fyi

Mark in So. MD 01-20-2003 11:56 AM

Two of the biggest guys in two strokes:

Sam Baker said he wouldnt recomend them.

Jay Smith said he will use them but has to do a lot of extra work, "overbore" the cylinder and other things.

mrv8outboard, why would you not "overbore"?