Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS chartplotter (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41616-gps-chartplotter.html)

Donzi38ZX 01-21-2003 10:54 PM

GPS chartplotter

I am looking for a GPS chartplotter and am considering the 182c. Anyone have any experience with this model? I have heard the 176c had poor contrast in sunlight but the 182c advertises as much improved. Also, does anyone know of a place with good prices? I have searched the net and it seems about $860 for the internal antenna and $870 for the external is about the best price I found. Thanks for the info.

Steve

Padraig 01-22-2003 10:05 AM

I have had the 182 (non color) for two seasons and love it.

If you haven't checked www.gpsdiscount.com yet....give them a try on the pricing.

Donzi38ZX 01-22-2003 10:15 AM

Thanks they were one sight that seems to have the best prices. Did you buy your 182 there?

CigDaze 01-22-2003 10:20 AM

The 182 is a great unit!

I have the 162 which is very similar in features and function, just a bit smaller. I'm very satisfied with the Garmin GPS's.

I would strongly recommend the external antenna option. I know it's a bit uglier and need additional wiring and mounting, but the reception will be much better. The more satelites you can acquire the more accurate your readings are.

Make sure you get the Blue Chart CD in addition. The base maps are a bit vague and can be inaccurate. Blue chart is incredible and are exact reproductions of official NOAA charts.

Donzi38ZX 01-22-2003 10:30 AM

Good info on the antenna I was told by a salesperson the external only made a difference if I had a closed cockpick like a cruiser. Not thrilled with the idea of the extra attachment, but I have to wire the electric so what's one more :rolleyes:

Steve

Padraig 01-22-2003 02:49 PM

I did buy my 182 at GPS discount, service was great and an e mail confirmation with a ups link when it shipped.

I disagree about the external antenna. I have the internal and have had very good luck with it. I boat mostly on Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie and have little or no problems with reception, including WAAS. I also do some cruising on Georgian Bay and while I had some minor problems with WAAS reception in the North Channel, overall reception was good.

Its just not wireing the antenna, it is drilling holes in the boat for the ugly antenna. Be careful where you mount the unit and you will be fine. If you do have problems with the internal antenna, you can replace the back and add the external later.

wetpleasure 01-22-2003 05:35 PM

I had a 162 with a internal antenna. very easy to use and read. I did not see any any reason to have the external antenna. I bought the maping disc and never needed it. The data base that comes in the unit was anough for me

Dock Holiday 01-22-2003 06:27 PM

I am on my second Ray 320 C-Map NT and really like them.

On the passenger side of the boat the wife uses the Garmin 176C and I have to say that the blue chip is better in my opinion than the c-map. The Garmin seems to be more accurate.

She really likes it a lot and does not complain at all about the screen.

The only complaint is the mounting set up. The Ray is very ridgid and can be seen landing off a big wave, the Garmin wiggles a little. I have a local fab shop (customer) making me a new billet alumium mount for it to solve the problem.

Good luck, you will like either unit.