Notices

Boat Show Blooper

Old 01-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Show Blooper

Moving into Bham Show,the local Bayliner dealer had the trailer under the new 17' Bayliner wrapped with red,white and blue flashing lites,kind of like Christmas tree lites but in a flexible plastic tube wrapped all along the trailer frame like a snake. Very attention getting, very patriotic,right? Except the boat is made in Mexico!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Registered

Wooooopppppsssss....
Old 01-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Bayliner is a price-point boat...right? What better way for that division to maintain that market than to build with dirt cheap Mexican labor. We should do our best as individuals to know where our consumer products come from, and insist on BUYING AMERICAN! Unless you're a stockholder, buying that bottomliner does NOTHING for us and ours here at home. Same goes with trucks/cars...I want to buy, and have faith in buying, products assembled by Americans, in this country, from as many American made parts as possible, in light of the global economy. Which by the way, the only thing "global" about it, is the rest of the globe sucking our prosperity DRY. Do I sound like an economic isolationist...YOU BET.

Last edited by Rippem; 01-28-2003 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hummmmm I thought Bayliner was built right here in Minnesota???
Plainveiw I thought was the name of the town
Old 01-28-2003, 02:57 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Some still are, I'm sure, built near you. The newer, smaller model line stuff is, are, and will be more so, built completely in a new facility in Mexico. More than likely, the "will be" eventually would include those boats now built in that nieghboring community! Another bad precedent set here! This time the boating industry! Why don't we just annex them (Mexico...not Bayliner) and get it over with, make the playing field level, and solve the Mexican drug problem while we're at it? Guaranteed there aren't any quaint little towns named "Plainview" in Mexico putting a paycheck in an American's pocket. If we annex them think of the enormous powerboat resorts and marinas we could do with the place. The perfect getaway for all of us powerboaters put out by this -30 degree weather. We could all do it like the SoCal guys on the board!

Last edited by Rippem; 01-28-2003 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Registered

I think beside the cheaper labor they moved to mexico to get away from all of the US BS. I would like to see what is costs a company to build something in Mexico verse the US not including the labor cost. I bet is would suprise all of us. I just snaped this last week that we are paying a tax surcharge on our trash container to the tune of $15.00 per month. This is not including the regular sales tax they are charging me. Have you looked at your cell phone bill? I am paying 25% tax.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:39 AM
Registered

Thumbs down

ya wtf, what Rippem said!!