Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Holy Chit!!!! It's COLD!... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41805-holy-chit-its-cold.html)

CigDaze 01-24-2003 07:04 AM

Holy Chit!!!! It's COLD!...

It's fuggin' freezing!!!!!!!!!!!

There was frost everywhere, I saw icicles everywhere up to a foot long, puddles were frozen over and where some jackazzes left their sprinklers running, there was snow like a few inches deep.

I went to warm up the boat last night and I blew out the water from the cooling system. I hope she's okay!

wtf!!!

29scarab 01-24-2003 07:08 AM

Its about time you got some of our cold S**T!!!

Whats up dude!!!!

Offshore Addiction 01-24-2003 07:08 AM

27 degrees in pasco,BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,this aint funny no more,whoever sent us this cold were sorry.......now take it back north!!!!!!!!
we didnt have anybody call either,but my mechanic was tired of draining engines on our lot all day yesterday.....of course that would be my boat in the garage!!!!!

skatermike24 01-24-2003 07:23 AM

Nick whats up dude, cold enough for ya, If it this cold let it snow:D

gdfatha 01-24-2003 07:34 AM

It's only 28 degrees here. But the squirels are still winterizing all their nuts.:D :D :D

otis311 01-24-2003 07:46 AM

Nick,

You want to talk about feeling cold !!

I left my house Wed AM to fly to West Palm to use the boat and it was -23 degrees w/o wind chill. 5 hours later im on my new boat tooling around and its 77 degrees out. I fly back home last night, step off the plane and its -3 outside. Shell shocked to say the least. you get used to the cold after a while. but the difference was unbelievable

Take care and Ill be down your way for 2 weeks in Feb. I think its the 11th thru the 25th

Bob

littleb4 01-24-2003 07:55 AM

snow day

yeah i had a nother snow day just becuase of how cold it is.

Wardey 01-24-2003 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow !!! This is as cold as I can remember......the deisal was a little sluggish this am. Hope I didn't lose any trees last night. Wardey

Scott 01-24-2003 07:57 AM

This is a great thread:D

Can you say revenge?:D

CigDaze 01-24-2003 08:04 AM

Man, you guys are rough! :p :D
Revenge will be tomorrow...
And it'll be about 70 for the Superbowl Parties!!!!

mid-20's F sucks!!! I'd hate for it to be any colder. Keep warm everyone. :)

Bob,
Sounds cool! See ya soon!

mcollinstn 01-24-2003 08:15 AM

yeah, it was -3 here last night.
The water temp on the lake is 36 at 3 feet depth (bottom of the thru hull transducer).

Woke up kind of cooler than usual - felt the heat/ac vents at the house and lukewarm air coming out.

Checked the gas furnace and the flame wont stay lit for more than 25 seconds then off for 20... High efficiency furnace - draft motor - pvc flue venting. When the flame is "on" it looks and sounds perfect. Opened up the bottom of the return air duct box to make sure adequate airflow was getting thru unit to rule out anything there - no change.

House is "fine" - around 70 degrees, and the temps look to be climbing back upwards after today, but wondering what the issue may be.

There is a "draft" indicator that measures the vacuum the draft motor is pulling. There is an overheat sensor near the draft motor that cuts the flame if the combustion air is "too hot" when it reaches the draft motor (like inadequate thruflow of household air would cause). There is a backflash switch to kill the flame if the flame pops back out of the burner. Not sure where to look...

Ideas?

florida gator 01-24-2003 08:24 AM

Wardy, do you live right on the Gulf. Boating report on Bay News 9 said 7-9' yesterday.

Wardey 01-24-2003 08:33 AM

Gator - Yeah i'm on the Gulf but Three Rookers Bar is kind of a break water for me. But, yes, it was rough. About 2's on the inside and I could see big water breaking at Rookers. Flat today but cold as hell. Wardey

kitten 01-24-2003 08:39 AM

28' degrees here, now, Orlando :eek:

Wild Horses 01-24-2003 08:50 AM

YOU BUNCH OF FRIGGIN BABIES.

On Tuesday it was -25C here in Barrie (just north of Toronto)

That is -13F for you imperial folks. Going sledding this weekend. The old storm is leaned out and should be running really good tomorrow.

Let's see -13F at 60mph is about -55F :eek: NOW THAT IS COLD.

Tim G. 01-24-2003 08:52 AM

32 in S. Florida

Mighty cold here as well. It got down to 32 here last night, and it'll do the same tonight. We did warm up to about 50 by now (9:45).
I'm not so worried about my cold fingers.. it's my cold 502 Mags..
They're not winterized, or drained...
It only gets below freezing for about two hours at night..
I really don't think I'll have any trouble. But, I just moved here, and am accostomed to living up north where our boats are always winterized...
Anyone have any feedback???

CigDaze 01-24-2003 08:59 AM

Tim G.
These are extraordinary conditions. Our weather reporter said that this was the coldest low in like 12 years. It's not too often we need to worry about winterizing. Down by where you live, it's even less of a concern than here.

At 2 hours a night, you will be fine.

Wild,
Yes we are! :D:D

We had about 6 hours below freezing.

florida gator 01-24-2003 09:05 AM

There goes our snook population that has been growing steadily the last several years.

Budman 01-24-2003 09:27 AM

Hey McCollinstn

Try this site out:

http://hvac-talk.com/

Very good site for HVAC-related questions. Someone on there can probably help you find the problem.

Looks like you guys down south of us were actually a little colder than it was up here in Louisville. Official temp didn't go below zero here, but it was colder at my house in the "boonies". Must be the extra snow that you have on the ground.

Good luck and stay warm.

ChrisK 01-24-2003 09:59 AM

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I thought I lived in FLORIDA!

WTF is going on??????????

MC, my gas furnace is doing the exact same thing!.. It will light, burn for roughly a minute blow the warm are then turn off. 2-3 minutes later it does the same thing again... over and over... ITs tickin me off...

Strike 01-24-2003 10:10 AM

Just another day here in Buffalo. Sun shinning, no wind, and 0 degrees (not including wind chill).
Thank god for our new indoor heated storage building!

Shane 01-24-2003 10:40 AM

You guys are WIMPS! Like OTIS311 said...it was -23 the other day for like 3 days straight and has been highs of 5-15 all week. This weekend is supposed to be warm though.:mad: 25 degrees. I hope too much snow doesn't melt.

Donzi38ZX 01-24-2003 11:08 AM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
yeah, it was -3 here last night.
The water temp on the lake is 36 at 3 feet depth (bottom of the thru hull transducer).

Woke up kind of cooler than usual - felt the heat/ac vents at the house and lukewarm air coming out.

Checked the gas furnace and the flame wont stay lit for more than 25 seconds then off for 20... High efficiency furnace - draft motor - pvc flue venting. When the flame is "on" it looks and sounds perfect. Opened up the bottom of the return air duct box to make sure adequate airflow was getting thru unit to rule out anything there - no change.

House is "fine" - around 70 degrees, and the temps look to be climbing back upwards after today, but wondering what the issue may be.

There is a "draft" indicator that measures the vacuum the draft motor is pulling. There is an overheat sensor near the draft motor that cuts the flame if the combustion air is "too hot" when it reaches the draft motor (like inadequate thruflow of household air would cause). There is a backflash switch to kill the flame if the flame pops back out of the burner. Not sure where to look...

Ideas?

Ours did this and it was caused by not enough return air to the furnace. They added another vent. If your's had been working fine check the filter it may be reducing your airflow.

Strike 01-24-2003 12:54 PM

Shane

You are right, they just don't appreciate the beauty and sparkle
that graces our great state! There is so much to do here in the
winter.
BTW, hope you and others east of here make the run this year!

Strike

Steve 1 01-24-2003 02:37 PM

Yeah I am moving to Florida where it is Warm!:mad:

cobra marty 01-24-2003 08:36 PM

Just got a call from my neighbor in MD at our condo there and it seem that mine or the one under me has a broken water pipe and is leaking water out the walls. Water co turned off the water mains and tomorrow we will drive down. I leave the heat on at 60 degrees when we are not there. I hope it is ok. Allways something.

Mike 35 Fountain 01-24-2003 09:33 PM

mcollinstn,

could be that you're not getting enough fuel in. You did'nt say if it's propane tank or natural gas. If natural then the demand may be so high that natural lines can't meet increased demand.

eliminator219 01-25-2003 04:30 AM

Winter Freeze?

For all you Florida worriers, If all you are having is two hours a night of temps at freezing or better, dont worry about it! but in place of winterizing for a couple of days, put a light bulb in the engine compartment. the heat from it will give you peace of mind!!

eliminator219
From the land of snow and cold !!

Wild Horses 01-27-2003 07:47 AM

OK .... I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! IT IS -30C OR -20F THIS MORNING.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Allan4 01-27-2003 09:21 AM

-4 in Cincy this morning. Bright sunshine, blue skies, 4" fresh snow on top of the 4" already down......absolutely beautiful morning........;)

Uncle Toys 01-27-2003 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Shane
You guys are WIMPS!
Yes we are - and proud of it! Here's what I was doing before the game yesterday.

Bayley 01-27-2003 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...

CigDaze 01-27-2003 05:32 PM

You guys won't believe this...

If you think we're wusses already, read this.

This should have you laughing:

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL 503 PM EST MON JAN 27 2003
PERSONS ATTENDING SUPERBOWL CELEBRATIONS THIS EVENING SHOULD DRESS WARMLY AS TEMPERATURES WILL FALL FROM AROUND 60 AT SUNSET...RAPIDLY THROUGH THE 50S SHORTLY AFTER SUNSET...IN URBANIZED PORTIONS OF THE BAY AREA. WIND CHILLS WILL BE IN THE UPPER 40S BY 7 PM DROPPING TO THE MID 40S BY AROUND 10 PM.

OTHER THAN THE COOL TEMPERATURES WEATHER WILL BE VERY NICE FOR ANY CELEBRATIONS AROUND THE REGION WELCOMING THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPION BUCS BACK INTO TOWN....

Allan4 01-27-2003 09:30 PM

Welcome to florDUH...........HeHeHe..........

Bayley.....that is a keeper!!!!! Cool!!!!!

By the way, I was wrong, it was -11 this morning, so I'm told......

EvilTwin 01-28-2003 09:16 AM

Daze,

It was -19 at my house this morning. But that feels real warm compared to what I experienced last week. I was snowmobiling in Canada last week and it was almost 40 below. At 1:30 in the morning me and two other guys were on our way back to our condo and we were check out the other side of hte lake we were staying at and I had almost stopped and in I went. It turned out to be right by a water spill way. I was in about 6 feet of water, but my sled was on a ledge (the back was in 7 feet the ski's were in about 12 feet). I was in for 45 minutes. It was warmer to be in the water than out (it was - 22 at the time). When I got inside my girlfriend was going a little crazy, but I was ok. Got the sled out and was running in the garage within the hour. Damn that was scary.

CigDaze 01-28-2003 09:24 AM

Damn Evil! That sounds serious. Glad all's well.
I remember falling through the ics a couple of times in the winter when I was younger. Luckily, the lake was only 1/2 mile from home.....That is the worst feeling in the world: Being wet in negative temps.