Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida? >

OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida?

Notices

OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida?

Old 01-20-2003, 07:35 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida?

I'll be in Marathon, Florida in Feb.

Who should I book my permit, tarpon and bonefish charter with?

Half live bait and half flyfishing.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jose Wejebe

You've seen him on EPSN's "Spanish Fly", and I've fished with him for 10 years. He's the best and baddest, but be prepared to fish hard!

[email protected]

Tell him that Chuck from Penske sent you.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent all of Xmas-NY's in Marathon. Key Colony to be exact. Didn't go out myself, but there are tons of charter boats every where you look. Marathon Lady, I think is more of a group charter boat. The best looking operations in my opinion was at Holiday Isle in Islamirada(sp) just 15-20 min. back N. We watched them come in in the afternoons with loads of Tarpon and Grouper. They seemed to have the best catch between them and Marathon.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I just asked some of my fishing friends and they said that if you go down to Big Pine Key to the No Name Fish camp that there are good Captains there, it's about 20 miles south of Marathon driving. Also I think it was John Johnson in Marathon was another good one.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Registered

CBR, my parents have been in Big Pine all winter and do a lot of fishing I will have them check w/ some of the locals and see who's got the best rep. I think that they do most of their fishing around the 7 mile bridge. I am not sure what they fish for though
Old 01-20-2003, 10:08 PM
JB-Cigarette

Currently living in Marathon . I fish with Capt Byron Farnes of Bait Runner Charters. He is out of Hawk's Cay Marina on Duck Key, about 15 mins north of Marathon. This past fall he guided a 12 old girl to a IGFA record Tarpon. If Byron can't help you, I know he will put you in touch with another guide who can help. Our you can go to (weeklyfisherman.com) its a good locals fishing paper. His ph num is (305) 743-7548 or 1-800-792-6680 baitrunnercharters.com

Last edited by JB-Cigarette; 01-20-2003 at 10:55 PM.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back when I was building Flyfishing Skiffs there was one name that kept popping up that was Flip Pallot.

You could try Hells Bay Boatworks some of the best guides use their Boats go to the website and click on Guides.

[email protected]
Old 01-20-2003, 11:19 PM
packinair

we have had a house in Cudjoe Key just south of marathon for going on 19 years now and I'll be damned if anyone is ever sober enough to get the bait on the hook without having to come back in and go get a hook me moved from some body part....so I can't help ya there.. However.. if that sounds of some interest let me know and I will have the boat put in and Glassdave and I will jump on a plane

Old 01-20-2003, 11:40 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, great tips!

I'll also be looking at tumbledown shacks in/around Big Pine Key with good waterfrontage to park the Sonic at during the NYC winter! A good local captain will not only give me and the wife some great fishing , but good real estate tips also.

Rent out the house, stay in the boat for a few weeks every winter would stop me from going even more wacky every winter.

I want to see Key Deer and live in the mangroves....just a NYC hillbilly.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:44 PM
packinair

Originally posted by CBR

I want to see Key Deer and live in the mangroves....just a NYC hillbilly.
don't hit one.. they will impound your car and it is a felony and a pain in the ass to deal with

Quick Reply: OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.