Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Norman or Cumberland? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41898-lake-norman-cumberland.html)

Ric232 01-25-2003 01:39 PM

Lake Norman or Cumberland?

I live in Orlando but I'm planning a family boating trip in the Spring. I will be bringing my wife, 19 month-old daugher and my 232. My parents will be bringing their Sea Ray 225 Weekender. Lake Norman is obviously closer (9 hours vs 14), but I've heard great things about Cumberland. It also sounds as if there isn't enough to do around Norman to warrant a one-week vacation there.

I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Steet 01-25-2003 01:57 PM

Week Vacation??

Ric232, Lake Norman is a great lake to boat on, but I don't know how much you would find on the lake to do. There are a lot of great restaurants with good dockage and there is a lot to do near the lake. Race Shops, Race Museums, Shopping, and a lot of good coves for anchoring out and camping. I however have never been to the Cumberland lake. If you need any more information, send me a PM and I will give you my phone number. I will be glad to help

boatfreak 01-25-2003 02:12 PM

If you are wanting a week of r+r it would be hard to beat Cumberland. Weekends at 76 Falls is a good party but when you are ready for silence you don't have to go far. There is a fair number of area attractions and some good food on the water.
Just my .02 and I have never been to Norman.

vagrant 01-25-2003 02:58 PM

I would go for Norman there is more to do than cumberland.Give me a call 704-634-9004
David

vagrant 01-25-2003 05:10 PM

AMBUSHER
Were at on lake WYLIE are you? I am always amazed at the people on here from NC.We need to form a performance group !
What do ya think?
David

vagrant 01-25-2003 05:27 PM

Ambusher,
Thats awsome man, I would really like to get something started club wise. Maybe we could do allternating lakes, plan a party on Norman and then do one on Wylie. Give me a call on Sunday and lets see what may work out for this summer?
David Ledford
704-634-9004

Warlock 27 01-25-2003 07:20 PM

Keep us posted

lake Norman is a awesome lake..keep me posted..I am sure some of us from the ATL.boat club would come and visit..:cool:

Let us know if you ever plan on visiting Lake Lanier..of if ya come down for the Poker Run

Ric232 01-25-2003 08:19 PM

Is it Lake Norman that's "dry" or Lake Cumberland?

Also, what about noise laws in NC? I have straight-thru transom exhaust with no mufflers (it is wet, not dry).

Is there a place I can stay on the Lake with a Marina?

boatfreak 01-25-2003 08:24 PM

Cumberland is a dry lake but that is not really a big issue. You just have to be cool and you would have no trouble.

vagrant 01-25-2003 09:12 PM

RIC232
Give me a call I can put you at my Dock free of charge. I have power and I am centrally located on the lake. Noise can be a issue it depends on which side of the lake you go on, call me
and I will give you the low down .
David
704-634-9004