Smith Mountain Lake Virginia >

Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Notices

Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Old 01-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Do any of you people know anything about this lake, and the area in general? I was thinking of renting a cabin on this lake, for a 2 week vacation. I would go some time in the summer months. When would be a good time to go. Is there alot to do around the area? I usually go to Lake George every year but I'm thinking of a change. Of course I'll be bringing my boat.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gary I have been going to that lake for about ten years now and its one of the best places to boat very pretty. On the weekends it gets crowded but during the week its very nice. There is not alot to do in the area except boat. There is one big marina at the bridge which has a couplde of nice resturants, put put golf and shops. There are other marinas on the lake but some can be hard to find. One of the best places to is the cliffs. Its an area of cliffs that people can jump off to in the water. They range from 20 to 75 ft high with over 100 ft of water below. No worries there. Last time I was there they even had a rope swing. There are golf courses around if thats your thing. The lake is huge with plenty of little coves to go for the day. Any more questions let me know. I also plan on trying to make the poker run this year.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smith Mountian Lake is doing a Poker Run on May 17th if you are interested in details PM me.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Definately sign up for the Poker Run. Unfortunatly, 2002's PR was very chilly, BUT, we had a great time. 2003 will be a BLAST! Check out www.bernardslanding.com for a nice place to stay. I have been there a few times. Beautiful lake; never choppy and everyone is friendly. It does get a bit busy though. Most beautiful lake in VA. Make sure the water levels are up. Sometimes they have to let the lake down a bit to power the plant at the damn.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

http://www.smlba.com/
Old 01-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. My wife is getting some cabin info now and we'll see if we're gonna go this year. That Poker run sounds tempting, we've never done one.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

Have you already registered for the poker run? Friends of mind did it last year and said they had a great time and it was beautiful there. They were to ones that got sprayed with the fire boat hose wish I would have seen that one. No pics either.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Yes, I have entered. It hurt mailing out that check in December, but it will well worth it come May. I am going to call Bernard's in the next few weeks to see what is available that weekend. Last year I had 5 people in my group, so we filled an entire condo. Not sure how many this year.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

Spectreboy,I'll keep that in mind Also, is there a prefered area to rent at? Like what part of the lake, or are they all pretty good on the whole lake?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Bernards Landing is pretty central. The lake is fully navigatable from all of the marinas. Most of the lake is 20-200 feet deep. Bridgewater Plaza is kinda up north a bit; so if you like to stay out at the plaza after dark; someplace close is good. The lake is NOT FORGIVING when it comes to navigating at night; and I do not recommend it at all; (unless you map your route with GPS). 27Fountain here on OSO used to live on the lake, and had a terrrible night accident heading home several years ago.

Does anyone remember the name of the Irish Pub on the water, that sorta has the Australian flair to it? Small rinky-dink marina; with not many slips, but GREAT food.

Quick Reply: Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.