How about some respect and honesty!! >

How about some respect and honesty!!

Notices

How about some respect and honesty!!

Old 01-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How about some respect and honesty!!

What is it with people that say they are going to purchase your boat, money is not an issue, nor is the delivery and then forget all about the deal?

I had an individual that I have talked with a couple of times, talked with his fiance', and recieved email from him stating he was buying my boat, but wanted a couple of days to secure the loan. I had no problem with the time and felt they were very serious and honest while I was talking with them. They both were very friendly and seemed happy at the prospect of owning the boat. After several days of no contact, I called him to see how the progress was going. Seems now he couldn't find reasonable shipment. (On our 1st conversation, he said he already had checked into it and that it was not a conscern) Also mentioned that he just kinda put boat buying "on hold" for the time being and forgot all about it.

My problem is not the lack of a sale, but the lack of respect and common courtious to at least drop an email stating he was no longer interested, for whatever reason. I would guess buyers remorse. I didn't expect him to call me in person if he would have changed his mind, that would have been the mature thing to do. Email would have been the cowardly way out, but at least a notification.

Yes, I know it isn't sold until cash is in the hand, so I didn't consider it sold, just sale pending. This is not the issue.

God (sorry Catmando) I hope he changes his mind and calls back this weekend to buy it. So I can say: "I'm really busy and can't talk right now, Let ME call YOU back tommorrow"

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-16-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your experience, but it happens more times than not I'm afraid. Common courtesy has all but dissapeared.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grab a deposite. Then if he backs out you have alittle something for your time. Wardey
Old 01-16-2003, 06:25 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

I agree! Some days I wonder if 80% of the people are untrustworthy and 20% trustworthy rather than 80% trustworthy and 20% untrustworthy!

Old 01-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sellers are some times just as bad as buyers, i drove3 and a half hours to look at a fountain told the guy i would take it offered a deposit. told rhe guy i dontn wont to waste his time or mine. he said if i wanted the boat its mine .looked at it on sunday told him i would call and get loan on mon. called mon afternoon to tell him
the loan was all done . thought i was getting the boat i always wanted. he says fine i will fax all paper work to the loan office ,he did then told the finance guy he was glad i bought it since it would stay on the same lake. then he said i will deliver on thurs
now im getting excited. then on wed i call him to varifie the survey guy showed up. from then on i have never spoke to the flake. i finally got a hold of someone that said he sold the boat to a guy in new york for 12.000 dollars more than he was asking
bullcrap this punk is a lying s.o.b now im trying to another fountain as clean as this one. so if you find one you want leave a deposit.even if they try to refuse it.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Registered

I have learned not to trust ANYONE, until they have earned my trust. I fell you pain US1 but I have learned when anyone tells me anything my first responce is "Yea, Right" unless they have proven themselfs in the past to me. Since I have taken this approach is am pissed a lot less of the time
Old 01-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Registered

Why don't you play him up, tell him you have other people looking at the boat and you will get back with him after those people see the boat and make offers
Cat- That might work unless the guy is a OSOer, & if he finds out you lied about that, then what else about the boat had you lied about.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Registered

Sometimes the seller can create the problem. The first Donzi I looked at seemed imaculate so I made an offer pending sea trial and mechanical inspection.

I met the guy at the boat ramp and right away noticed the screens on the intake were rotten. I suggested that he repair that before we run it in the water so nothing gets sucked up into the motor.

After that was repaired we went out into the Gulf. I had the bank draft in hand. Everything seemed great until it starts running hot. The guy didn't have a clue about boating and asked me what to do. We called Sea Tow and 3 hours and $450 later we got back to the ramp.

He refused to take it to a mechanic that I recommended and used the son of some old man who serviced the boat in the past.

After another 2 weeks of picking up this hose and that clamp that this backyard mechanic messed up my first payment was coming due. So I looked on boattrader.com found a boat 1 year newer. I low balled on the offer and paid $1000 less and brought it home.

Next morning the guy calls me to give me an update on his boat. I informed him of my purchase the previous eve and he was mad at me. It appears had he known I was not going to buy his boat, he would not have made all of those repairs at the time. Who know what this guy told people about me.

I feel like I did nothing wrong. My offer was based on inspection and succesful sea trial which, was never accomplished. I did not call the guy when I decided to start looking at other boats because if his was repaired before I found another one, I would have bought it
Old 01-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Paper, my friends, Paper.

Paper is king. Paper rules.

Paper Paper Paper.

Get a lawyer friend to draft you a sales contract, whether you are the buyer or seller. You can take it with you if you are looking to buy, and when you do find a boat you want, fill in the purchase price, leave and note the deposit. Note the conditionals in specifics with not-2-exceed dates on each conditional test (sea trial of course can be tied to weather conditions but needs a NTX date unless weather...).

Tie up both ends of the deal before you leave to secure financing, etc..

That is the ONLY way to keep from getting burned. Your lawyer needs to draft the contract per the laws of the state the transaction takes place in.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always have some type of purchase agreement when ever I buy or sell anything of $$$. Mainly stating purchase price, item, involved parties and the fact of no warranty, written, oral or implied. I hate accepting deposits myself, and almost never ask for one. Usually my past dealings have taken at most a day or 2 to finalize. If someone gives me a deposit, I'll take it and hold it. If the person changes their mind, I give it back. In full. Done that a few times. Not worth it to me. I realize a lot of purchases are made on a whim and I don't want anyone to be out any money for a bad judgement, change of mind, or even for a better deal. What it really does is say that I won't sell it to someone else, but why would I? It's sold to them.

Quick Reply: How about some respect and honesty!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.