Notices

OT: Corvette info

Old 01-26-2003, 12:04 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Corvette info

I'll looking at getting and older vette as a third car. Once my current lease is up in a few months I might use it on a regular basis. I have an option between an 84 and 85, both only have about 10,000 miles. They are both garage kept super nice cars. Both red. One has an auto trans and the other is a 4+3 manual. Both have the Z-51 package. Other than the tranny, they look alike.

Was the 4+3 a problem trans? I'd prefer the stick.

What would you put as a fair price for both.

84 with auto
85 with 4+3 stick

Any advise would be helpful.

Last edited by Ron P; 01-26-2003 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:49 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run away and don't look back. The Missfire motor is a pig!! The 4+3 tranny can be problems, but works OK when working. It's a cross breed 4 speed with a 3 speed auto overdrive tranny bolted to the back. They all had paint problems, and dash problems. The body is a little dated looking. I would stay away from C4 Corvetts until the LT1 cars. But if you can get a good deal on it go for it. Ron give me a call if you want And I will talk with you about them. Is the awards cruise a formal dress thing? It's my mother's birthday that weekend and thought about comining up for the weekend. Good Luck with the Jersey Boys series this summer, looks like you guys got a good thing going on. I'll try and make some races this summer and be a sweep boat with the Sea Ray.
Pete
Old 01-26-2003, 01:52 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i think it was the 84 that was considered the worst vette ever biult. I would stay away.

You can pick up eth newer year fro reasonable prices. Heck if you want something small and "sporty" thats convertabel I'll sell you my MG for cheap. Show your wife some pics of it and I can GAURANTEE you'll own an MGB.

The ladies love it (i have no idea why, but they do).

If i had space for it i would keep it for just that reason.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:54 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

ron i'll see if i can find the article i had. It covered all year vettes and there strong and weak points.

I'm pretty sure it was the 84 that had issues. Mainly due to the fact it was the first year for an entirely new design. I think it was the 84......
Old 01-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ron, I would also stay away from both cars. They did have transmission issues and the 84 crossfire engine did have problems. The LT1 cars would be a good alternative at a reasonable price. I think that motor was standard in 1992.
If you go older you can get antique full coverage insurance for around $250 a year.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Registered

Ron, I currantly own a 1988 Vette with the 4+3 trans. It has broke 3 times in the last 5 years, but I'm not real nice to it. Ive owned this car for 10 yrs and its not all stock, and have had no major problems (other than trans) sence I bought it. 1987 and up are the better choice, and the 89's - up have the 6 spd trans a much better choice. the car's alot of fun to drive and with the mods dun to mine it will kick the crap out of mustangs all day long.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same discovery process when I bought my wife a summer car to drive.

The advice I received consistently for C4s was to stay away from 80s for the reasons sited. 90 marginal. 91 was fine but if you could find a 92+ you would better off. I bought a 91 with 19k miles - and have been very happy with it.

Try the corvetteforum.com to obtain specific feedback.

Good luck

Jeff
Old 01-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Registered

Walk away! The '84s and 85's leave something to be desired as far as vettes go. Unless you can steel one I'd save your money for another year. I've had a '68, '71, '70, '84 and currently have another '70 that is undergoing a full restoration(I'll be keeping this one). The '84 I bought it right, painted it, replaced the interior and did a little work on the motor, then sold it! The only reason I bought it was the price was right and I fully intended to fix it up and sell it from the begining.

Just my 2cents, but there are many other vettes that 1. run and perform better, 2. and most improtantly - hold their value and will increase in value much better.

Good Luck.
Steve
Old 01-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sheesh guys, I have a 20k mile '84 Vette with the "pig" crossfire and 4+3 that is none of what you say. Paint is mint, just like the dash. Maybe if I actually drove the thing, it would break down too. It has sat for more than 2 yrs at a time and has always started in less than 3 sec of cranking. And that was with no fuel stabilizer. I will admit, it is a rough riding car, but I didn't buy it for a smooth ride. The air in the tires is still original! I like it just because it is the 1st yr of the new style. Just my .02 Notice the '98 plate, last yr it was plated.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pls take no offense to my comments.

some cars have more issues than others.

my researched revealed that of the c4s that 91+ have been perfected, more reliable, etc.

enjoy whatever you have!

J

Quick Reply: OT: Corvette info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.