Notices

Diesel Vs Gas (value)!

Old 01-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Vs Gas (value)!

This is a spin off from my post duramax wins, since alot of conversation has been about gas vs diesel(gm). These figures are on two years of ownership.

-----------------DURAMAX--------------8.1
Cost new---------6210.00-------------2050.00
Trade in value----4300.00-------------1550.00
------------------_______-------------_______
depreciation------1910.00--------------500.00----diff=1410.00

2yr avg miles------30000----------------30000
avg fuel econ.-------/18-------------------/10
-------------------______--------------______
gallons of fuel----1666.666---------------3000
cost of fuel---------x1.54----------------x1.47
est. fuel cost------2566.66--------------4410.00
depreciation diff---1410.00---------------------
est. cost----------3976.66--------------4410.00

Maintenance cost on both are about the same.

Last edited by bsag; 01-20-2003 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where were you went you left me out to dry in that Duramax thread? And do you find it easier to resell a gas truck than a diesel truck?
Pete
Old 01-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

And if you use the REAL #'s for gas and diesel here in Fla. It would show that its cheaper to run a Big Block with go power than a stinky diesel motor. And I have never slept somewhere out in the middle of nowhere waiting for a gas station with diesel to open up with my gas motor.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also missing are the cost of repairs (higher in gas I would assume) and the Gell additive for Diesel. I did this when I was looking to buy my truck and unless you tow a lot or drive a TON then it is almost impossible for Diesel to pay for itself on fuel alone. Remember along with your difference in cost you are going to pay more in interest (not included in your formula but it was in mine). It is a hard comparison and I certainly purchased my truck only because it was the cheapest one out there and it happened to be a diesel. Now if I could just keep that truck from snappin the tranny in two!!!!!!

Jon
Old 01-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Jon, I don't think these guys own their trucks long enough to worry aout repairs on a gas motor. I mean you go 100K miles without doing tune ups on the new gas motors. I have a late 90's Suburban that was my wifes before we got her a new one. It hasa 141K miles on it now and never did a tuneup it yet. (not proud to say that but if it works don't F with it) I did put a NEW convertor in the tranny last year but changed it before it took out the tranny. I am getting ready to go out today and change the intake gaskets on the 5.7 vortech motor. It started leaking yesterday, I think it had something to do with the hard freeze we had the other night. The plastic gaskets are prone to crack on the vortech motors. I left the sprinklers on the other night so the twins woke up to a Fla. snow storm.
Attached Thumbnails Diesel Vs Gas (value)!-picture.jpeg  
Old 01-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Intolerant1

You forgot the $65 oil change vs $25 for gas. I also find it hard to believe that the diesel depreciates more. Try selling a gas truck with 100k on the clock. A diesel is fine at that mileage. I think thats where the diesel shows its real value. You dont have to buy a new truck every few years. If the engine lasts 2 or 3 times longer, there is comparison in cost.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

I don't know about the other brands but 100K on a Chevy is nothing any more. I see 200-300K miles on Chevy trucks still running strong. It's not like the old days with a flat tappet cam that wore out. These roller motors last a long time now. Like I said I have 141K on my Suburban with the OEM plugs and wires still. I sure they will get changed today when I pull the intake off. I always get a kick out of guys that give their trucks a tuneup for GP, take out the platium tip plugs and put back in .99 spark plugs and think they have acomplished something.
Pete
Old 01-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Ease of selling?

We sell 50/50 gas vs diesel in 3/4 ton trucks.
We sell 90% diesel in 1 ton trucks.

Can't get an extended warranty on a gas motor over 100k.
Can get an x-warranty on diesel to 175k.
Banks won't hardly finance a gas truck over 100k.
Theyll finance a diesel to 200k.

Zero trouble finding diesel fuel in TN.

Gel additive two months out of the year.
BioGard every other tankfull year-round to the tune of 3 cents a gallon.

Gloves and one sheet of paper towel under the driver's seat for refueling.

If you don't like 'em, that's fine, but don't think your arguments will ever sway a believer...
Old 01-26-2003, 01:45 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Who would need to finance a truck with over 100K miles on it? with 0% finance why would anybody buy a used truck?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Obviously you aren't familiar with the car business.

10% of the shoppers are check-writers (pay cash).
90% of them need financing.

Of the ones who DO need financing, only 5% of them can qualify for 0/0 plans. Of the other 95%, a third have a Beacon score (credit report) over 600. The remaining two-thirds have LESS than a 600 (720 will get you good financing - 780 will get you the world's best financing).

Of the 60% of the people in the door with less than a 600 credit score, most if not ALL of them want an impressive-looking vehicle. They had FAR prefer to buy an impressive HIGH MILE vehicle than a more affordable low mileage one.

We could sell twice as many "over 100k" vehicles if banks didn't throw on the brakes.

Most of us here on OSO with our expensive toys do NOT represent the typical vehicle buyer that the dealers see most regularly. Obviously, it doesn't make sense to you and I to buy a 125k truck on a 4-yr 12% note. Tell that to the 60%-ers out there.

You look in their eyes and you KNOW they are serious. Furthermore, you KNOW that if you try to steer them into something that makes a whole lot more sense that they will go down the street and buy from the next guy.

Welcome to America.

Quick Reply: Diesel Vs Gas (value)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.