Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Faring Project For Excalibur (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42023-faring-project-excalibur.html)

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-27-2003 12:38 PM

Faring Project For Excalibur

1 Attachment(s)
Well after four long months I finally received my aluminum fairing from a local fab shop. I have to say, although to took over twice as long to complete as the projected due date I think it turned out nicely!

I did not scale down or crop the front portion of the fairing like most people do, I kept mine exactly the same size as the original windshield. Mainly because I do not have a raised deck, my windshield meets right from the flat deck itself, I thought if I cropped the fairing it would look a little goofy. :crazy:

Anyway, by the first of next week it should be done being powder coated and ready for installation. I will post final pics then.

One winter project almost complete, by this time next month should have all of the Gaffrigs gauges, throttles, panels installed.

Spencer
WHITE-DIAMONDS

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-27-2003 12:39 PM

pic #2

1 Attachment(s)
another pic

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-27-2003 12:40 PM

pic #3

1 Attachment(s)
another

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-27-2003 12:41 PM

pic #4

1 Attachment(s)
another

Sydwayz 01-27-2003 12:53 PM

Looks great!!

Sean 01-27-2003 01:03 PM

awesome! w-d...that looks real nice!

Roger 1 01-27-2003 01:19 PM

Lines and proportion look great. I would suggest a center brace though....................Roger1

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-27-2003 01:28 PM

Roger, its got corner and center braceing, you can kinda see it in photo #2. It is very, very strong.

Fast Shafts 01-27-2003 01:33 PM

White,
I'm planning on doing a similar fairing for a Magnum, I'm going to cut out wood patterns and have a fabricator cut and weld it. What gauge aluminum did you use? I hope you dont mind me asking, How much did it cost? It looks great!
Thanks in advance!
BOB G.

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-27-2003 02:05 PM

Bob, I used 3/16" aluminum, the entire front panel is made out of 5052 a bit softer type aluminum, reason being when they tried to make the bottom edge which is a very hard curve, the metal would split. The sides are same thickness just a bit stronger type aluminum.

To tell you the truth, I got a total of four quotes from different fab shops, I went from the big very well known shops to one that does this sort of work one project at a time, a one man show if you will. Anyway, the prices ranged from $900 - $1600 and after talking to Sean "thunderboat alley" on the forum, that price range was about what he paid on his old cig. So I thought I was in the right ballpark, until one of those four quotes was only $303.00!! Yes, $303.00!!! Now, don't get me wrong, this was not some shop in the back yard of some guys house. This was a very well known local company that does laser processing and metal forming and all type of fab work.

I swear the second that estimate came through my fax and I saw the $303.00 price I called the salesman immediately and said "you've got the job".

I mean the freakin aluminum stock cost more than $300 bucks!!

After this fairing project they told me to not tell anyone where I had it made becuase they do not want to make another one......especially for only $300 bucks!!

So Bob, unless you can get as lucky as I did, a real fair price is right about $1000 to get this project done correctly and professionally. It is much more difficult than I thought going into it, you would be surprised that it does not take much error to make this fairing project a nightmare if you are not very careful!!

Best of luck!