Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Will we go to war with Iraq? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42033-will-we-go-war-iraq.html)

Shane 01-27-2003 02:30 PM

Will we go to war with Iraq?

Well, it seems to be just about showtime. I don't know how to set up a poll, and really was just looking for opinions on whether or not anyone thinks we will end up going to war with Iraq. I have heard some brain trusts around the office talking that we (USA) are taking the right steps and will effectively "black mail" Saddam out of power.

France and Germany are so opposed because they have contracts with IRAQ for drilling in an area right on the Iraqi border thar is estimated to have 10 billion barells available. So obviously they are in opposition, only for monetary reasons not humanitarian reasons as they claim.

There is a tremendous amount of opposition to military actions here at home, but is also amazing the way the american people can rally behind the president when he gives a speach explaining why we are going into battle.

I am not really sure if with my limited knowledge I can say for sure that we will go to battle or not. If we do, I hope it is soon and swift.

Chris288 01-27-2003 02:36 PM

Bush Junior has a hard-on for Saddam, he is trying to do what daddy couldn't. And to answer your question,, YES,, I feel it is inevitable...

CigDaze 01-27-2003 02:47 PM

There is too much we don't know to make an educated wild ass guess.

My feelings lean towards eliminating the current regime in that dispicable nation and restoring/implementing a better, more trustworthy government. That means war. The time has come. The lies, cunning, false statements and uncooperativeness is enough.

The rest of the world wants it, too, but are too afraid to be outspoken about it.

Remember, the media elsewhere is no different than here. Bad news makes good news and so do anti-war marches made up of the minority.

Relief will be better than not knowing.

If not now, than we will wait for the war to come to us.

It's time to rethink our historical reactive approach and become proactive for once.

NASTY HABIT 01-27-2003 02:51 PM

YEP !!

Sea-Dated 01-27-2003 03:00 PM

if "WE" you or me, were the ones that were going to go to the front lines and be shooting and getting shot at, and maybe the results of some twisted BIOLOGICAL experiment from Sadaam, would we be so willing to pull the trigger and say "Lets Go"? Just a thought!:confused:

JohnJan 01-27-2003 03:00 PM

My thoughts are worth only about what I get paid for them...

I think we will go to war but not for why many folks think. If it were only about oil we could have cut a deal with Sadaam, lifted the embargo, and gotten all we want. But the US doesn't deal with governments that don't do as they say they will.

It's about keeping our agreement with the UN that Iraq was not to build an arsenal capable of inflicting devastating harm on any people or country, the US, Europe, or the Mid East and within Iraq.

It's about Sadaam's record of euthenizing thousands of people that oppose his regime. Remember his use of biological weapons on the Kurds?

It's about the oppression of a people and the United States' LONG STANDING and very noble policy of promoting democracy. Not for any individual political gain but for the freedom of people.

All of the above is about the protection of YOUR rights and interests throughout the world.

Finally, I don't think for one instant that this is some unfinished business of the Bush family. it's what needs to be done. If Al Gore, Colin Powell, or Micky Mouse were president we'd be facing the same choices.

CigDaze 01-27-2003 03:08 PM

JohnJan,
You're right...This has nothing to do with oil.

War is not pretty, hence the name, but a necessary evil nonetheless.

History proves time and time again, that it is the ultimate motivator. Empires do not rise and fall without it, and prosperity cannot survive without it. Evil will always rear it's head at every juncture in time, sitting idle while the enemy mounts accomplishes nothing but self destruction.

"We" is all of us, and no one who claims to be a proud American shall hesitate to defend our great nation. If we don't fight now, we'll be fighting a much different war later.

ChrisK 01-27-2003 03:09 PM

It is not a question of IF we are going to war. I believe its a question of WHEN.

Shane 01-27-2003 03:20 PM

I agree with JohJan and Bajadaze that there is much more to it than oil, and that mees the eye per se. Saddam is truly the face of evil. No one in their right mind can deny that. He is even starving his own military. They are mal-nurished and fighting for him, who has multiple castles and lives far above his means. His murder and torture are unspeakable and certainly on the order of Hitlers. Maybe not as many in number, but nonetheless horrific. Furthermore, if we do not take some pre-emptive measure now, it be merely a retaliatory move if we wait. We must not forget the other truly evil lurker out there...Osama Bin Laden. We must fight to continue to break up and destroy his cells, and sleepers. I say we, because I will fight if necessary. We are a country and we all stand to lose when just one soldier dies. Unfortunately, death is part of war, and war is what a soldier does. Our soldiers are the BEST in the world and I am certain they will fair well.

Dano 01-27-2003 03:38 PM

Uhhhh... what about North Korea then?

Have nukes? Yup
Have Bio? Yup
Have missles? Yup
Repressive? Oh yeah
Desperate? no doubt
Have oil? Nope

Hmmmmm could we be starting a trend here?