Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rapid Fire Spark Plugs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42082-rapid-fire-spark-plugs.html)

baja bailey 01-28-2003 11:29 AM

Rapid Fire Spark Plugs

Anyone running these plugs? I have heard good things about these.. Thinking about trying some in the boat this summer? Looking for some feedback from you guys first:) ...

audacity 01-28-2003 11:32 AM

are you for real???
use what MERC says to run.

baja bailey 01-28-2003 11:52 AM

Originally posted by audacity
are you for real???
use what MERC says to run.

I have always used what came in it. Last year when I went to buy plugs my dealer only had NGK, he said that is what he uses in them, I went and bought the same thing that was in it instead of trying the NGK.. Guess I will stick with whats in it, I just heard a few guys mention they were using the Rapid Fire and thought I would ask here...

blown1500 01-28-2003 11:58 AM

I use NGK, too. Sometimes Autolite, sometimes other brands, too. Tried the Rapid Fires in stock applications. They might idle a little better. Mercruiser plugs are expensive. Any marine plug will cost more because of the case material, etc. If you service your boat often, car type plugs are fine, esp. if you use antisieze on the threads. The dedicated marine plugs seem better for the boater that only checks the plugs when they have a problem!!

wingsonwater1 01-28-2003 12:18 PM

Never had a problem with NKG. I think the best plug out there.

Madmax 01-28-2003 12:28 PM

Go with NGK's. they make an extended tip plug just like the rapid-fire's. As far as i know, that's the only real difference in these plugs.

Wish i could remember the part # for the extended tip NGK's, but i'm at work.......:crazy:

Raypanic 01-28-2003 12:28 PM

I have some in my 454 Mag, Seem to work fine, They did allow it to start and idle fine but that is what I replaced the old ones for any how. I cant say they made the engine perform better than before but they work fine. I beleive they are Rapid fire #1's

baja bailey 01-28-2003 01:49 PM

Thanks for all the input guys..A few guys had told me they saw less black on their transoms with the Rapid Fire #1? I could not see why, so thoght I would see from others experiences on the board.. Guess I will put the NGK's in it this spring...

Tim G. 01-28-2003 03:51 PM

Rapid Fire

I haven't used tham in the boat yet. However, they made a hell of a difference in a truck I had two years ago...
This was a '94 GM 454 TBI truck. It always had a rough idle. Smoothed right out with the Rapid Fires. I could swear the mileage got a bit better and the motor pulled harder up top.
They don't list them for my current '00 GMC 454 Vortec. Strange. You'd think they'd fit fine..
If they have them for my 502 Mags... you bet I'd put them in..

obnoxus 01-28-2003 04:25 PM

Rapid fire #1,,, you will not get more performance, you will get less foul, and loading up at idle, they heat up faster at start up where most plug fouling apparently occurs,,,, personally I believe I have less transom soot using them,,, they have been in the boat for the last 4 years ( no not the SAME plugs !! )