Audiofn.....& other A/V guru's

Notices

Audiofn.....& other A/V guru's

Old 01-31-2003, 03:55 PM
M2
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audiofn.....& other A/V guru's

I'm looking to purchase a powered subwoofer for my surround system. (I think that is what I need)

Here's what I had:
A Harmon-Kardon 3.1 surround w/passive subwoofer. No pre--out for powered sub. (60watts/channel)

Here's what I replaced it with;
A Harmon-Kardon 5.1 surround w/a pre-out for a powered sub.
(70watts/channel)

I didn't replace my speaker system. I have the acoustimass7 and acoustimass3. The 7 is for front channels with a passive sub. The 3 is for the rear channel with a passive sub.

My problem is that with my new receiver, I don't have as much bass. In my receiver set up, I do have the power sub turned off which I assume tells my receiver I don't have a power sub and it would not waste power to this jack but send more thru the front channels? My bass is decent, but doesn't pound like with the other receiver.

Would a powered subwoofer cure this problem?
What type and brand would you recommend and why?
And how about a powered sub that is installed in the floor between the floor joists? I think I remember you talking about this type at one time.

I have been looking at powered subs and it is getting rather confusing with the sizes, different watts and prices all over the place.

I would be grateful if you could shed some light on this subject.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

you could rewire the front speakers to the sub also the front speakers.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:31 PM
FWK

A powered sub will make a tremendous diferrence. You are losing power by going through the x-over network the way your system is set up. There are lots of powered subs available and as with any electronics you get what you pay for. M&K would be one of the subs I would look into though they are expensive. It also depends on where you are buying them. If you have a short list of what you liked this may help in giv=ing advice. Forrest

Old 01-31-2003, 05:01 PM
M2
Registered

hyper,
that is how they are wired now. the front speakers are wired thru the sub.

Forrest,
i really don't know what brand or type i want. i have just started looking. went to the crutchfield site and was a little overwhelmed with all the different ones available. not really sure what i should be looking for yet.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Registered

I'll second the recommendation for M&K. I spent a little more than I wanted on an MX-105, their cheapest push-pull sub, because I knew I would upgrade speakers eventually, but didn't want to upgrade a sub again. The thing will shake things off the garage wall on the other side of the room. A friend got a B&W sub that I was pretty impressed with too. Very deep and loud.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Registered

If you are looking for the best sound for the dollar, I can offer you CineNova products. Many, including myself, had never heard of them until I auditioned the products. You can visit www.earthquake.com to see the products and reviews that all were extremely favorable.

I offer many different brands that stand strong at at fair prices. Feel free to call (813)882-8477 for advice or deals on car, home or marine audio.

Buzz
Old 01-31-2003, 07:37 PM
Registered

also check out www.rbhsound.com they are not well known to the consumer but they make great speakers. Look at the ts10ap ( aluminum cone ). if you want, you can email me for your pricing.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

If you want the best bang for the buck in a powered subwoofer check out:

www.svsubwoofers.com

I have the 25-31 PCi and it hits deep, hard, and clean. Compares favorably to the Klipsch RSW-15 and the Velodyne HGS-15. Both of which cost 3 times as much. The owners Tom and Ron are unbelieveable people to work with. They helped me with selection and set-up. If you don't believe me check out:

www.hometheaterforum.com

Do a search for SVS and see what comes up.

Mike
Old 01-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered

SVS 25-31 PCi
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2003, 11:05 PM
RonA

Big yellow cat, you have my attention please give me info on this unit. Is a mechanical bass tranducer? I 'm dying to find out about that unit. Ron

Quick Reply: Audiofn.....& other A/V guru's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.