Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Single or Twins????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42387-single-twins.html)

MissAmy 02-01-2003 09:44 AM

Thanks Dan,

It's those little "tricks" that I need to know to help me pick it up. I never drove the cruiser because I was way too intimidated by the size, the engines, etc, and never even attempted to learn.

But I am bound and determined to learn to drive our next one. If not just from a safety issue. I don't want Lutz to be the only one to know how to drive it.

Okay now...anybody else have any more advice for a female newbie?

Thanks again.

Von Bongo 02-01-2003 09:47 AM

What I feel you have to weigh.

Single
- lower operating costs for fuel, oil, plugs
- Easier (usually) to access to do routine and not so routine maint.
- can be harder to dock depending on wind and current

Twin
- extra engine to get you home
- easier around the dock.
- more weight to trailer
- two of everything to service, including drives

I went with a singe because at the lake I wasn't too worried about having to limp home. Just tow me to the nearest marina if I break down. It would be different on say the ocean or the great lakes. Also with my boat a single 575 will outperfom twin 496's in the the same boat (not HO's) with less fuel burned. maint will be a bit less with my single because you have to add in the SC. Also my boat weighs about 1000 lbs less with the one engine and there is easy access to everything that requires routine maintenence.

Finally it will depend on the size of your boat the bigger the boat the more rational twins become. What are you and Lutz looking at?

MnFastBoat 02-01-2003 09:58 AM

Totally agree with Von on his statistics
Mine was suppose to be a single last minute changes along with earlier ordering made me go to a twin. if you go larger then 32' I would prefer twins under, single

MissAmy 02-01-2003 10:18 AM

VonBongo ~

We are looking in the 28 - 32 foot range, unless we find a helluva deal on something bigger.

So, in that regards a single would probably be fine. But the wind and docking is a concern, because the cove we are located in seems to be pretty windy much of the time.

Speed is not really a big issue. We don't want to go 90 miles an hour. I'm not really all that used to going so fast, and with our kids, I do get a little nervous. We just want to go a reasonable speed, fairly smoothly, and be able to get places on the lake and keep up with everybody.

There also is a comfort factor with knowing you have two engines in the event that one fails, but like you said, on the lake most people are very willing to help.

We like the appeal of lower cost / ease of maintenance with the singles...

Hhhmmmm, so many decisons!

HUGH! Hi there!! How are things with you?

Von Bongo 02-01-2003 10:43 AM

Amy,

For the size of boat that you are talking about and that you are not out for top speed then I would think it comes down to a single or twin small blocks.

Small blocks use less fuel, weigh less and would gove you a little more room in the bildge. Plus the 350 mags and their varients are proven motors and 6.2's seem to be holding up good. What boats are on your list? I would guess maybe Formula? Sunsation? Fountain would be a little small. What about Norts old boat? It's a twin with BBC's but he has had it a while and maybe he wants to make a deal. I think it's a 302 Formula. Plus he could deliver it over Memorial day and we could show him what he has been missing here at the lake :D

Good luck in your search and make sure you take a test ride before you write the check!

MnFastBoat 02-01-2003 11:08 AM

Hi Miss Amy :)
Doing ok here
could always be better, but thankfully that it is not worse :)
Sitting at the motel right now in Richmond Va. Getting ready to head out and inspect the town before the Parties today. :)
How has the school year been treating you?
Are you two looking for new or used?
I know of a couple great used Advantages that would fit you perfect. One a 32' and another 34' Both are great at LOTO. Lot of cabin space to keep you closer to the same usage as with your crusier
But not sure if they are in your price range

MissAmy 02-01-2003 11:45 AM

Hey Hugh! Doing great here! Been a busy school year and I'm definately ready for summer vacation!

I think Lutz would rather go the used route. Let us know about the Advantages you were talking about. We're open to anything and don't have it narrowed down to anything in particular.

What parties are you going to??

Be safe!
Amy

GETTINBYE 02-01-2003 12:45 PM

Miss Amy & Lutz Party,

For the size boat you are looking at there is no question in my mind that you will be MUCH happier if you go with the twins. As far as driving with twins you will find it much easier than with a single. Imagine being able to enter Party Cove and being able to manuver all the way through and back out, if so desired, without having to touch the steering wheel. It can be done. Docking is the same way. The difference is truely amazing.

As stated before once you drive a twin you will not go back.

Mark

GO4BROKE 02-01-2003 04:56 PM

Don't count on a single getting better fuel economy. I had a 27' single 502 mag that burned as much or more gas @ 50mph cruise than my 31 sonic, twin 454 mag does at the same speed.
As for driving it, its easier than a single. Just find a good teacher and practice.

LutzParty 02-01-2003 06:48 PM

Well it seems that MissAmy has taken over my thread, however she is right on line with what im thinking in a boat.

A 28-33 pre-loved craft is what we are thinking and if a 38 should happen to become available for the right price you never know. :D

I was thinking of a single for the mere fact that one engine, one outdrive, less insurance,less $$ and I may even be able to fit in the engine compartment to work on it. But having twins in the old LutzParty sure made life easier to dock and manuver.

Thanks for all the responses Please keep em coming.

Von Bongo, you just might be on to something with NORTS old boat. I think he may be a bit out of our price range though. I may have to buy it just to make him come to LOTO to deliver it. :D :D