Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - How and why the tragic accident happened. >

SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - How and why the tragic accident happened.

Notices

SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - How and why the tragic accident happened.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:03 PM
apache41

Default Did they use Microsoft Windows?

"Puder", did they use Microsoft Windows?

Brandnew Computer System...

...perhaps this was "Windows 2003 beta"?

(sorry, I know this is crude joke but I couldn't resist...).

But really: Columbia had a new "internet server" installed. To be non-stop connected to the internet. This was never done before and difficult to achieve in orbit.

The flight electronics was the proven version. I think nothing new there.

Last edited by apache41; 02-01-2003 at 01:07 PM.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Intolerant1

I friggin hate the fact that the media is even playing the "terrorism card". I know that f%cker is sitting in a cave somwhere laughing at the fact that every time anything goes wrong, we think it might have been him behind it. Truth is, the sniper was a POS criminal and space travel is dangerous...nothing more.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:18 PM
apache41

"I friggin hate the fact that the media is even playing the "terrorism card". I know that f%cker is sitting in a cave somwhere laughing at the fact that every time anything goes wrong, we think it might have been him behind it."

You got it.

But: He is also used as an excuse by ...Putin for his war ...by Sharon ...by Bush ...by Blair to introduce ID cards ...by Poindexter to "monitor the everyday move of every American"...and...and...and...

If he wouldn't exist you'd have to invent him.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:28 PM
apache41

Default Columbia Lift-off

Minutes later part of the fuel-tank insulation (the brown insulation on the huge tank) got lost and hit the left wing.
Attached Thumbnails SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - How and why the tragic accident happened.-columbia-start.jpg  

Last edited by apache41; 02-01-2003 at 04:09 PM.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Tiles were always a critical issue

They used to carry a type of slurry for patch work I am not sure of what they have on board nowdays for repairs!

The orbiter is made from Aluminum and the surface temperature on the hot side reaches better than 2500 F degrees on reentry.

So it does not take much Imagination to see the consequences of the heat shielding being damaged: In the wrong area.

In the very first launch of the Columbia they were worried about the tiles if you remember to the point;

that the Military said rotate the ship untill underside is visible from earth, they then took a picture of it; and told them your tiles are ok!!

The amazing thing is it was 112 miles up at the time and NASA was astounded that such technology even existed let alone was in use! You have to remember that these tiles some were very small.

Last edited by Steve 1; 02-01-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:51 PM
apache41

That is amazing:

Columbia 112 miles in the air and the military could make a photo so detailed all tiles were seen to check them. And that must have been 1981 (the first flight of Columbia).

Why didn't they check this time?

Old 02-01-2003, 02:02 PM
apache41

Default Crash happened in the most critical phase.

The most dangerous phase is at 200.000 to 230.000ft - there you have the highest temperatures: 1600-1700C Celsius.

What is important also is that the flight trim has to be exact as calculated, otherwise the heat gets stuck in one area. If the telematics did fail and the left wing went lower and got much hotter, this leads to overheating. Even with all tiles intact (which they were probably not).

Just heared that the debris shattered Texas... many pieces 3-4ft long ...the area is 200mls wide ...incredible...

Here one remaining piece of Columbia:
Attached Thumbnails SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - How and why the tragic accident happened.-one-piece.jpg  

Old 02-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is sick to do the terrorism crap. The only thing that could have shot at the shuttle from 200,000 feet away, is another shuttle.

Another sick thing about this is people are picking up the tiles. I bet there selling them on ebay. Some people should just be shot. I hope they monitor auction sites and get people who do this.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Baja I am with you anyone who tries to profit from this in that manner should be jailed or worse!
Old 02-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres what im talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1468

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11153

tile:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=13904

Quick Reply: SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA - How and why the tragic accident happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.