Notices

Don't drive your boat on our golf Courses

Old 02-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't drive your boat on our golf Courses

Todays boating news from LOTO:

Guilty verdict in boating accident

Jury convicts Holts Summit man convicted of leaving the scene, assault in incident that left 44-footer on 15th green

By Joyce L. Miller

CAMDEN COUNTY - A guilty verdict handed down by a Camden County jury in a boating- accident case sends a clear message, according the prosecutor: When it comes to public safety on the water, the law will be enforced.

Charged with leaving the scene of an accident and two counts of assault, Leonard Thompson of Holts Summit could spend up to 18 months in jail for a boating accident that occurred nearly three years ago.

Thompson will be sentenced in April by Judge James Franklin who heard the case and ordered a presentence investigation.

It will be up to the judge to make the final decision on sentencing. In the meantime, Thompson remains free on bond.

It took the jury of seven men and five women less than four hours to return with the guilty verdict.

The prosecution argued that Thompson lost control of his 44-foot Sea Ray and ran aground on the 15th hole of the Porto Cima golf course near the 16-mile marker.

The accident occurred around 3 a.m. July 29, 2000. Two passengers were injured.

The jury recommended a total sentence of 18 months in jail - one year for leaving the scene and three months on each of the other charges.

The 10-ton boat hit the shoreline with enough momentum to drive it onto the golf course. Thompson was believed to have been traveling at about 38 mph.

Thompson left the wreck on foot, leaving behind the two women to whom he had offered a ride earlier in the evening. The witnesses said Thompson had been drinking that night but he was never charged with an alcohol-related offense.

Thompson was located several hours after the accident at a relative's home on Shawnee Bend. The passengers used a cell phone to call for help.

Camden County Prosecuting Attorney Jim Icenogle said he was pleased with the jury's recommendation. The case has taken a long time to come to trial but that shouldn't distract from the importance of the verdict, he said.

"The jury did the right thing," Icenogle said. "We have to make every effort to enforce the boating safety laws on Lake of the Ozarks."
Old 02-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, But he didn't get the DUI!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just take the passangers with you???? I think its a pretty hard sentance unless the passangers actually got hurt.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The passengers did sustain injuries. Nothing serious though.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Everyone should be happy he didn't kill someone on the water or in his case land.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Registered

FFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Registered

Hey Swanson. Move over I'm driving!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Registered

HEY!! you scratched my ancor!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:23 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

I used to have a picture of this 44 footer sitting on the golf course. I'll post it later if I can find it.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

You've got to wonder what this guy was thinking. It's not like they're not going to figure out who he is!
He would have probably got a lighter sentence if he stayed with the boat, called the cops himseld, and got the BUI.
But then again, if I was at the lake, my wife was in KC, and I just crashed my boat after picking up two 18 year old girls at Topsiders at 2AM. I might panic too.
Gary

Quick Reply: Don't drive your boat on our golf Courses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.