rebiulding big diesel engines??? >

rebiulding big diesel engines???

Notices

rebiulding big diesel engines???

Old 02-04-2003, 01:19 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebiulding big diesel engines???

a coupel questions.

first off how do they rebiuld big diesels like the 1500hp monsters in sportfishes and magnums and so forth? How can they even have enough access to the engine inside the baot to do that kind of work? I would assume they can't pull the engine like we pull out big blocks. Must all parts be hauled into the boat and worked on internally?

How much are rebiulds on those thing? Asking for friend, Say a circa 1992 MTU 331 (1500hp). Assuming its siezed? and needs a ton of work.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Most sportfish motors are permanent installs. The blocks will never leave the boat without tearing the entire floor out of the cabin or cutting a hole in the side of the hull.

These installs usually have a fairly wide span between the center stringers, and for a good reason - they lay plywood runners on the hull bottom and use little carts with wheels on them to "freight train" the heavy parts in and out. Luckily, sportfish boats let you remove enough of the rear floor to be able to get the pieces rearward where you can hoist them out. Aft-cabin boats must have the pieces "carried out by hand" or plywood traintracks laid all across the living areas.

One good thing is, that most huge diesels split the pieces up into manageable chunks. The MTU you speak of, I believe, has the cylinder heads in 2-cylinder sections (six 2-jug sections in all). The heaviest and most cumbersome piece that will need to be handled is the crankshaft itself (and believe me, it is a bad mother). The cylinder liners are all removeable. You "should" have enough room to get the crank out from under the motor without taking the block off its mounts, but each install is different (this is why a lot of big diesels seem to have a lot of room under them). Drop the pan, pull the rod caps, take the pistons, rods, and liners out from the top as an assembly. Pull most of the main caps, jack up against the crank, pull the remaining caps - "unjack" it into a wood cradle or blankets. Drag her out.

Best I can remember, a bud's 1150 Cat TOP-END job was $45k. To add the bottom-end to the job was another $15k. Brand new (or much newer tech factory rebuild - can't remember which) motor was $60k. Didn't matter, though, cause there was no way to "SWAP" the old motor out and get the new motor in.

Big $$$.
A broken rod and damaged block will kill the deal in a heartbeat!
The source of the "sieze" needs to be determined.

Furthermore, it needs to be determined what CAUSED it to seize. If it is/was an oil starvation problem, it may be a goner anyhow...

Aint that great news?
Old 02-04-2003, 10:41 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

eek!!!!

It actually for afirned of my dad's. He's interested in a boat he can geta deal on but it needs to haev one engien rebiult due to water ingestion. I know it had an issue with the turbo. I woudl assume if one engein ate it eth other is goign to need soem work as well. BUT he might be abel to get a sick deal on cus it needs the work and theowner doens't want to do it. Just be rid of a problem. distress sale!!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 02:01 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Seatek problems. The turbo fails= Impeller goes out the exhaust along with all of the oil. The intake part goes into the first cylinder that opens and punctures the piston allowing 25 to 1 compression to finish blowing the rest of the oil out the breather. The headgasket fails and in comes the water. This may not be the case with the MTU but...It still might be worth it.
good luck,
pat W
Old 02-05-2003, 04:26 AM
DJG
Registered

Some boats can be taken apart to make room for removing engines. These are 1200 MANS we replaced.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Puder,

The big diesels do come apart. If you look at them they have access plates on the sides of the block. Water ingestion means pulling the whole block usually because the main bearings should be replaced and line bored. What kind of motor?

DDEC, MTU, Cat?

There usually are removable deck boards, just strip out the caulk and unscrew them in a sportfisherman.

Have a qualified surveyor give a rough estimate, but rebuilding a 12 cylinder Detroit Diesel is at least 50k i think.

Wannabe
Old 02-05-2003, 01:17 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

MTU 331 i think is what they are.

hey if the price was right on the boat 50k per engine isn't to bad. It only "needs" one but i'm sur eif one is scewwed up the other is going to need some love.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Puder , I think you should beat them up more on the price and buy it yourself ! YOu need a good project ! I have the truck , We'll go get it !
Old 02-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Boat I looked at yesterday had removeable salon floor and the center of the ceiling/roof of the salon had a center panel that was designed to come out in the event of engine overhaul.

Obviously it greatly depends on the boat itself.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Registered

Most of the new convertibles have solid floors that are not removable. They do this to keep noise levels down, but mainly because those big engines need air, and they tend to pull it from wherever they can, so the salons get very dirty in boats with removable floors. Any new boat from Viking, Hatteras, Post, along with most of the carolina boats have solid floors. They rebuild them right in place, quite an amazing thing to watch.

Quick Reply: rebiulding big diesel engines???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.