Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Yet another home theater Q (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42619-yet-another-home-theater-q.html)

HyperBaja 02-04-2003 04:20 PM

Yet another home theater Q

Ok, heres what I got:

RCA 500watt (100x5) Dolby surround Reciever
Sony Center Speaker (center)
2 Sharp 3' floor speakers (front)
2 PSB speakers (back) 8"
Sub: Bose

Now, the question is.... The sub out on the reciever is un powered, and so is the sub. Is there an amp I could buy, or should I go buy a 100w, 100$ RCA sub?

Thanks
Tommy

liquidlocomotive 02-04-2003 04:30 PM

go to www.svsubwoofers.com

HyperBaja 02-04-2003 04:38 PM

Those look a bit expensive.

mcollinstn 02-04-2003 10:04 PM

I doubt the Bose sub has much butt to it.
A also doubt the $100 RCA sub has much butt to it.

Obviously you are on a budget similar to the one I was on when I was 15.

Just for kicks, run the left and right speaker wires to the "IN" posts on the Bose sub. Connect the SHARP speakers to the "OUT" posts on the Bose. Try it out.

Quite possibly, the Bose box won't kick as hard as your Sharps. Then again, it may sound better to you.

The left and right main speakers DO receive full bass signal unless you have them set otherwise. Nothing goes out the "sub out" jack that doesn't go out the LR terminals (except for dedicated LFE signals on Dolby Digital material - but you don't need to worry about that).

Audiofn 02-04-2003 10:17 PM

Personally I would put the PSB's up front. They are the best out of all those speakers. For now run the bose Sub from the front channel speaker outs then the outs of the bose to the PSB's. From there save your money for a GOOD sub. What do I mean by a Good sub? well lets just say it is going to take a while to get it. I personally would not buy one for less then 600 bucks, that being the NHT. The normal sub in one of the systems that we sell are about 1500-15,000 bucks

Jon

OneMoreMph 02-05-2003 04:23 AM

Being on a 15 year old's budget also, I went with the velodyne sub, it has a 10" driver and built in 200watt amp. It has more than enough bass when the race is on! You can find them all day long on ebay. I got mine at circuit city for $399

HyperBaja 02-05-2003 07:43 AM

I have 4 PSB's total, did have them up front also, sounded good, but there wasnt the bass, it was wired that way, still not much from that bose... hooked the sharps up, lots more bass. I think that'll work for now, until I get the money for a decent sub (after a boat of course ;) )

Thanks for the help
Tommy

Andy Buzz 02-05-2003 08:19 PM

I carry a few brands that I hand picked for my store after auditioning nearly everything. Many of the brands I offer can be seen on the net. Visit Fosgate Audionics, Velodyne, www.roundsound.com, www.earthquakesound.com I carry many others. Feel free to call (813)882-8477 for advice.

Andy Buzz