Old 02-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess who's #1 ncaa hoops?

Florida Ranked No. 1 In Recent Polls

Monday February 3, 2003
Send this story to a friend | Printable Version

Gainesville, FL
They have been close before, but never at the top.

Until now that is. On the wings of a 14-game winning streak, the University of Florida men's basketball team seized the top spot in both major polls, announced on Monday, claiming No. 1 in the land for the first time in school history.

Florida received 16 first place votes in the coaches poll and 13 in the Associated Press poll. The Gators jumped from fourth to first after last week's top three teams, Arizona, Pittsburgh and Texas all suffered defeats.

"I'm very, very happy for our players and the school," said Florida head coach Billy Donovan. "But at the same time, it's a ranking that has been given to us that I don't know if we are deserving of or not. There is a lot of basketball left to be played, and we have a big one coming up with Kentucky. We have another big game with Alabama on Saturday following UK.

"We moved up to the No. 1 spot, because people ahead of us lost, but I still don't know if we are the No. 1 team or not. We as a team are still striving to get better. I still believe that we can improve. But as far as the program is concerned, it's a tremendous honor."

The Gators were 2-0 last week, picking up victories at LSU and at home against Arkansas to improve to 18-2, the best start in school history.

The highest the Gators had been ranked prior to Monday was a one week stint at No. 2 last January.

The Gators will be put to the test immediately, as they travel to No. 6/7 Kentucky on Tuesday night before returning home to face No. 22 Alabama.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Registered

Hey Waterfoul!
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Registered

We'll see you guys tonight at 9:00.

GO CATS !!!!

Should be a great game.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default Enjoy it while it lasts!!

Because tonight, the Cats are gonna open a can of Whoop-Ass on the lizards!!

Should be a great game!
Old 02-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Go Gators!!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

GO CATS!!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Thumbs up As "the Dickster" would say....

AWESOME, BABY!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Registered

WOW
Old 02-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Default Hey Florida Gator...

Your guys were pretty rattled. I'm sure they will be much tougher when we have to play them down in Gainesville. I'll be pretty nervous about that one, because Florida will be out for blood after this loss. However, I think Donovan may have given Kentucky some additional motivation for that game by saying that their defense wasn't as good as Kansas'. He didn't really give Kentucky much credit, and that might come back to haunt him.

I feel a little sorry for Alabama having to come into Gainesville on Saturday.

Hey srobak,

If IU doesn't pick up the pace pretty soon, they might not make the tournament! Louisville pretty much humiliated them in the second half Saturday, and they didn't even need a Mike Davis meltdown to do it.

Last edited by Budman; 02-05-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Allan4

Looks like FLA could have used James White!!! Just kidding, I say that becuase he is sitting on Cincy's bench in street clothes waiting out his 1 year transfer period.

I hate UK, but they looked awefully good last night. The real Cats, Cincinnati Bearcats, play @ Lousiville tonight. Ouch, we are having an off year, looks like they may end the 7 year streak of 25+ wins per season. Just not Cincy b-ball being played this year, ranked 40th, lost our senior 6-11 center in the offseason due to off the floor stuff and probably going to get smacked around tonight at UL. Our 6th man just quit the team. Good timing. Still 13-5, but that is an off year for a team who wins 25+ each season. UL tonight, host #9 Oak State Sunday. Need to win one of those.

I think Louisville will win the National Title. Anyone wanna take me up on that??

By the way, Indiana better get their heads out or it will be NIT time. Same with my Cats.....

Quick Reply: Guess who's #1 ncaa hoops?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.