Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cheap,lite Duty Trailer Hitchs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42730-cheap-lite-duty-trailer-hitchs.html)

tunnelvision 02-06-2003 11:25 AM

Cgarrett, had to go out and check,
sticker in the door: 11.4k GVWR, pulled up ford - 12.5k GVWR,
dodge- 11k GVWR. this is all 4wd. crew cabs 2003. our 2500HD said 9200lb GVWR. the max is achieved with 4.10 gears not the 3.73

bobby daniels 02-06-2003 11:54 AM

SORRY I DID NOT SEE THE OTHER POST !!! MY DEALER SAID NOWAY THIS MORNING SAID HE DID NOT EVEN KNOW ???

BUCK I WISH I KNEW YOU SOLD THEM BUT I ORDERED A TITIAN FROM CALF. YESTERDAY
HOPE PEOPLE UP GRADE IT WOULD BE SAD TO KILL A FAMILY DUE TO CRAPPY HITCHS !!!!! THANKS FOR INPUT !!!!!!!!!

cgarrett 02-06-2003 01:18 PM

tunnelvision,
I think what we are doing is talking about 2 different things.
The GVWR would be the truck weight,passangers,cargo,and equipment.

The GCWR is the total loaded weight of both the Truck and the Trailer including Passangers, Cargo,and equipment.

The Maximum trailer rating is detemined by subtracting the tow vehicles curb weight from the GCWR incuding passangers,equipment and cargo.

The information that I have only shows the D-max with a gear ratio of 3.73 available.

Cordell

cgarrett 02-06-2003 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

cgarrett 02-06-2003 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
auto trans

Tim G. 02-06-2003 01:34 PM

GM Hitch

I worked at a Chevy dealer about..7 years ago.
Remember the ole style K blaxer and Subs from around 89???
we saw several farmers tear the hitch out of the frame, or bend the frame down so far as to put the hitch at a 40 degree angle!
A lot of the problem is in the frame. The new GMs have a new, heavier frame.
I have a '00 GMC 1 ton with the factory hitch. This hitch is rated for 5000 weight carrying, 10000 distributing.
I have pulled a car trailer with a 1200 dead weight tounge before, without any noticable damage...

The new style truck uses a round tube, and a brace that attaches to the bumper. It looks pretty bad.

Go get one of those Reese Titans.
I'd trust the stock hitch up to about 6000. I have seen them bent! I guess GM got one smokin' deal on those hitches..

cgarrett 02-06-2003 01:36 PM

So then if you have the D-Max 2500 series your Max trailer weight is 12,000 lbs but you are to subtract any optional equipment, extra passangers other than the driver,and cargo.

Now do we really do that? No

I'm glad people ask these questions about things because I get an education finding the things out that I normally wouldn't care about.

Cordell

bobby daniels 02-06-2003 04:19 PM

the HITCH IS STILL 5K OR 10K WEIGHT DIST. ACCORDING TO REESE TODAY ,AND THE G.M. BRANCH TECH. TODAY !!!!!

buck183 02-06-2003 05:31 PM

Originally posted by bobby daniels
SORRY I DID NOT SEE THE OTHER POST !!! MY DEALER SAID NOWAY THIS MORNING SAID HE DID NOT EVEN KNOW ???

BUCK I WISH I KNEW YOU SOLD THEM BUT I ORDERED A TITIAN FROM CALF. YESTERDAY
HOPE PEOPLE UP GRADE IT WOULD BE SAD TO KILL A FAMILY DUE TO CRAPPY HITCHS !!!!! THANKS FOR INPUT !!!!!!!!!

No problem Bobby. If you need anything else for your rig just let me know. That's what I do for a living. As always, anyone from OSO will be VERY well taken care of. Just ask.

You are correct about the weight carrying and load distributing. All hitches will go up in capacity with load distributing.

Buck