Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!! >

I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Notices

I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Old 02-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joey,

I agree its a trying experience..I'm on both sides of the equation.
I'm a seller and a buyer. I've given up on selling right now in the current climate and have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be a two boat owner for awhile.

But...as a buyer I've traveled around since last Labor Day to look at what some seller's have represented as "perfect" , "a nine out of ten", "like new"..only to find it wasn't even remotely true.

Its been disappointing to say the least.

I guess the point is that buyer OR seller, there are people out there who can't bring themselves to be truthful with others. I don't know if I'd spend the money to come to Florida just for a free boat ride though !

You'll sell the boat for sure. Its beautiful and the right buyer will come along eventually..
Old 02-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Registered

thanks, this thread is great and I hope the information will help me when I sell my boat.

It appears it's a sound practive to get a deposit before the test ride to insure you have agreed upon a saling price. The deposit would put closure to the negotiating part of the deal, and hopefully move you on to the closing portion of the deal.

Sounds good on paper, uh.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Registered

I've never took a deposit for a test drive. However, it's ironic that last couple of boats I sold neither buyer wanted to bother. with last boat, it was sitting in a slip in water.just started motors, and they were happy:sold! But,the boat was a "9.9" and they knew it.
I inform and potential buyers, I'll be only driver and i'll go as fast as they can stomach. This eliminates a lot of tire kickers.

On flip side,I've never paid deposit for test drive. Nor will I. If the boats is all there, i'll water test(sometime subject to survey). I don't care initially who drives( of couse need to get comfortable with them that they can drive!).But, I always make it clear that the boats going to need to get run. None of this 3000 RPM B.S.

Also a quick way to eliminate tire kickers prior to any water test is to start discussing finances with them. Are they going to need to get a loan? Are they paying cash? Anyone who's paying cash can easily produce a bank or brokerage statement. I've also used this when buying a boat, especially when traveling to look at something. Very few potential sellers want to piss off a potential cash buyer, who has proof of the cash.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Registered

i hear ya 32...i even went as far as to ask what insurance co he was using and the quotes they gave him..
Old 02-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

On my boat, the seller would not take a deposit! He needed the money and it was 1st come 1st serve. He was a decent guy, thoug, and I got a great deal.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

I sold a boat last year to an out of state buyer. He never even saw the boat in person. I sent a lot of pictures and told him everything I knew about the boat. He sent me a cashiers check. He wanted to know if I could tow the boat to Ft Lauderdale. I said I could, and he sent me an extra $200 for expense of the tow. I took the boat down, his girlfreind looked at it, and I gave her the title. He must have been pleased with it, I never heard anything else from him. It's nice when two honest people get together for a deal.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

It is a great boat, hope you sell it soon!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Registered

seems like a lot of oso'ers have been on it...what's up chris!?...are you going to st.cloud?
Old 02-11-2003, 06:18 AM
Registered

the email i got today......

"joe

I wanted to call you over the weekend but I've been trying to play catch up at work and did not get a chance. I really wanted to do this deal but unfortunately after discussing it with my wife, and going over finances, it's more than I should spend in this uncertain economy. I really appreciated you and your friends' hospitality in fla. Good luck in your upcoming racing season !!! Thanks, Dave"

do you think he SHOULD HAVE discussed this with his F'n wife prior to WASTING our time!!!!???
Old 02-11-2003, 06:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Joey,
I'm going to be in Miami from wed. thru sun. and I'm interested in your boat. Can you drive down and take me on a sea trial?

Quick Reply: I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.