Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!! >

I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Notices

I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Old 02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Yep,,,,I do not have a dime yet...so it's still for sale. I guess a handshake and your word doesn't mean **** anymore ....i guess i need to be a untrusting prick and get a deposit prior to a water test...let alone 98 miles worth!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

You're right,Joey. I've been stung many times. In an ideal world you agree on a price, get a refundable deposit "subject to water test". But it's not an ideal world,many peoplle won't put up a deposit, and many of those will buy the boat,so it's a judgement call. I recently did a very extensive time consuming demo on a wakeboard boat that would normally sell in the low $40's,offered it at $35000,a killer deal for the buyer. He emailed me a week later with an offer of $26000 But I may still sell him something, he just didn't understand the parameters.On his next demo I will make it plain as to the price. Course I've said that many times in the past Hang in there, there is a buyer out there,always is.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Registered

I think I was VERY clear on the paramters prior to me driving 3000 miles for a joy ride.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always try to get some kind of a deposit.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered

I know, I know ....i thought his word on overnight'n me a deposit we go back was cool...he'll good thing i didn't drag the boat back to michigan from key largo like he wanted! what a mess that would have been!...you never know, he may still buy it?....just wants to low ball me now like magic said....i just don't mess around like that!....i do joke around though!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:56 PM
packinair

That sux Joe, Why don't you let me go sea trial it for a few weeks down at our house in the keys since you have it there anyway.. I don't have any money for a deposit but my post should be good enough let me know if you want the bat.. I have it all warmed up

Old 02-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Registered

Every time I've sold a boat I don't turn the key's without a deposit. I'm joyride.com.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Too Old basically said it right. It's a trust deal between buyer and seller,sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't.Both sides need to trust,but you might get burned.Without trust you will lose the deal anyway,so try to determine what kindof person you are dealing with,and do a gut feeling call. Hey,I didn't know Too Old from Adam's Housecat on our first trade,and he didn't know me either,an unknown guy in Alabama,but it worked. Sometimes you trust people,and most boat guys are pretty straight,took me 37 years to realize that.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

I do trust people for the most part...i'm just pissed at myself for trusting the wrong ones. the people that know me personally here will tell you this.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Registered

Here's the deal. The seller always asks for a signature on a contract and a mutually agreeable deposit. The contract says the buyer gets his shot at a personal inspection, a sea trial and a survey (which the buyer pays for), any or all of which the buyer can waive if he wants to. Likewise, a smart buyer will insist on a buy-sell contract with these three stipulations, as well as a clause that the deposit is to be refunded if any of the three don't meet with the buyer's approval. All three of these are done AFTER the buy-sell contract is signed and the deposit check is in the seller's hand, assuming there's not a broker involved. If any of these three are unsatisfactory the deposit is refunded. All pretty clear as far as I'm concerned. This is a business transaction, not a good old boy reunion. Yeah, I know. This is a cynical approach, but this is a cynical world. Do it with a buy-sell contract and weed out the tire-kickers right away. A real buyer will respect this approach.

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 02-07-2003 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: I guess I didn't sell the boat this past weekend!!!I"M A SUCKER!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.