Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   proper racking a offshore boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42886-proper-racking-offshore-boat.html)

tizbad4 02-07-2003 09:32 PM

proper racking a offshore boat

Looking for info for racking of a offshore boat. v haul and cat. Marina want's to store on blocks every 4' and I am worried about a hook an or damage to hull. This is a 39' ocean express cat.

Madcow 02-07-2003 09:55 PM

You mean like a fishing hook?:D Do you remember the damage to the bottom of my Sonic? The surveyor told me the bottom should be supported EVENLY at each bulkhead to avoid damage. Safest method is full length bunks. What does Ocean say? By the way you going to breakfast tomorow?

jmackin 02-08-2003 05:10 AM

I kept mine on a 3- point for 4 years w/ no issues. I would think as long as the transom is well supported. But if I had your guy's money I'd have manning or somebody build a custom rack.

Sonic30ss 02-08-2003 12:41 PM

This brings up an interesting point. It appears that someone moved the winch mount towards the rear on my trailer, I'm thinking maybe for reducing the tongue weight on the hitch. Anyway it seems as though the transom is not supprted all that well (you can push up on the bow and the boat will lift up). How far forward should it be ? I'm thinking as far forward as the hitch will take for tongue weight?? (30 sonic on a Myco bunk trailer)
Thanks

bobby daniels 02-08-2003 12:57 PM

JUST BE SURE THE TRANSOM HAS SUPPORTS STICKING OUT PAST IT

packinair 02-08-2003 02:09 PM

Just leave it in the water.. that way you don't have to screw around for an hour just to get it out:D there are docks open over by us in rossford.. that or can't you just leave it on the trailer and use that as a rack??? speacking of racks..... wanna go to clammys for a pizza???:D :D

buck183 02-09-2003 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Sonic30ss
This brings up an interesting point. It appears that someone moved the winch mount towards the rear on my trailer, I'm thinking maybe for reducing the tongue weight on the hitch. Anyway it seems as though the transom is not supprted all that well (you can push up on the bow and the boat will lift up). How far forward should it be ? I'm thinking as far forward as the hitch will take for tongue weight?? (30 sonic on a Myco bunk trailer)
Thanks

Tongue weight should be 10-15% of gross weight. (boat and trailer) You may have to play with it a little to get the perfect balance. I would take a little too much tongue weight over what you have right now. A light tongue is trouble waiting to happen.
Seen it, not pretty.

Buck

glassdave 02-09-2003 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oops . . .my mistake . . i thought you said you wanted a "proper offshore rack" . . .

hey tiz, i missed your call the other day. will you be down at jims shop this week at all? :D :D :p :cool:

GO4BROKE 02-09-2003 06:53 AM

Nice rack, is that a Myco?

Your bunks should extend several inches past the transom.

tizbad4 02-09-2003 08:58 AM

Pack: Good idea but the water is a little hard right now!
Glasdave: Nice but not what I had in mine (believe it or not) yes I'll be there monday morning.
Back to my question I know the boat should be supported so the transome is not hanging over but shouldnt it be supported with long full length runners to support bulk head to bulk head? And not just sitting on a few 6x6 blocks? Ther must be a builder of racks out there with knowledge on this matter?