Like Tree0Likes

Street Bike Days coming to an end.....

Old 07-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

My Boats: just a filter
Default Re: Street Bike Days coming to an end.....

there are rules?? OOPS
Old 07-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

JohnJan,

While there are a lot of posts in this thread indicating some members' increasing uneasiness and lack of desire to continue riding, if you look closely there are a good number of posts from members who acknowledge the risks and choose to continue to ride. Like you, I've spent plenty of time on racebikes and streetbikes alike. I tend to ride for both the thrill and the emotional detachment from the drudgery and pressures of the daily grind. I don't ride cause it's cool. I don't ride to impress chicks. I don't ride to earn a new patch on my eather chaps. I ride cause I love it. I ride cause it switches on a level of focus that is a high unto itself.

When street riding becomes boring to me, I will become concerned about a lack of focus. If you're using a bike as simple transportation, then it's time to climb back in your 4 wheeled cage and zone out.

Are bikes dangerous? That's a loaded question.
The odds of being in an accident/collision on a bike are probably similar (per mile) to the odds of being in a collision in a car (I haven't seen any figures, but I'm guessing they are close).
The odds of being injured, however, in that collision are FAR greater on a bike than in a cage (car).

There are circumstances that affect our survivability (in a car or on a bike) that we have no direct control over. That's for sure. I had a Buick fly over a divided median and crash through the front windshield of a van I was driving. Hard to have much in the way of control over something like that. I could have just as easily been riding a bike that day. Would that have been the fault of the bike? Not hardly. But I might have been killed had I been on a bike - or I might have been able to squeeze by without contact. That is the part where it gets odd. A bike is more dangerous, but in some cases can be a better instrument of survival.

Odds. Rolling dice. Luck.

I don't really believe in luck, but in the world of statistical analysis, there is still a major component of "variation", "noise", or "deviation". A normal amount of deviation is expected and attributes towards the bell curve. Samples that fall outside of the curve constitute the "noise".

Hopefully we all will find ourselves more often on the desirable (safe) side of the curve.

I rode my R1 last night for just a little while. What a riot.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: just a filter

Mc , you said chaps ...
Old 07-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

Most of the guys I grew up with now have bikes and have been bugging me for years to get one. When I lived in Pinellas County, I damn sure didn't see the appeal of riding from light to light in 95 degree heat wearing black clothing. It just didn't seem like fun to me. Now that I've moved over here to Volusia County, there are a lot of nice open areas to ride without all the traffic and blue hairs. I am seriously thinking of getting one. I am probably the most careful car or boat driver you've ever seen, and I'm sure I'll be even more cautious on the bike.

As was pointed out above, I don't know that a bike is more likely to get in a wreck (though I think it's quite likely since they are harder to see) but the severity of the consequences of a bike wreck have also kept me from getting one.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

Nasty,

I've never owned any chaps but I've always secretly wanted a set.
Hope you and rox are good.

mc