Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long) >

Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Notices

Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Old 02-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Big Formula and Bravos..

I don't think the drive problem happens when trying to planer the boat. Most drive failure, in any boat occurs when the operator gets the props out of the water, and doesn't let off on the throttle. That sudden grab when the props bite tends to bend the center shaft, and snap towers.
We get a lot of that here because of the big water we have to run in. I've never run one of those big Formulas, but I do know that my little 28' Pantera spends plenty of time with the drives in the air.. but I know enough to stay on top of the throttle all the time...

You may get away with it if you spend most of your time in smooth water..
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 02-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing that if you're airing out a 15k+ lbs express cruiser, you're going too damn fast!
Old 02-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

You should see some of these guys airing out 370's and 400's, especially those with HP500's.The gensets lose cooling water at about 55mph
Old 02-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Uncle Toys

Dude, your delusional. Your not middle class, nobody in the middle class could touch either boat! Although noble, your financial analysis is a red herring. The only financial analysis you need comes from the old saying, “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it.” My updated version (for us boating nuts) would be, if you need to sharpen your pencil to make it work, you shouldn’t. My guess is, you don’t need to sharpen your pencil.

Now the real issue. Which one do you want? Your buying this for psychic reasons! Boating is our escape, our sanctuary. Boating is that one place you know you can go and get away from all the stupid pressures that come with life.

Don’t look down at the figures on the paper, look out the window at your soul. Which boat feeds that?

Then, post pictures!

Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Registered

UT,
Good take on the situation! Oh, and I want to see some pics of a 400 catchin air!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

96, What are the prices If I may ask??? I am going to the Miami Boat show and could compare. Also you may be able to get into a 47' with trip 500's for the same cost or less. (My fountain that is) with custom paint and all.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Registered

Jeebus Ray, you're getting to be as bad as Too Old! At least have the decency to finish the boat BEFORE you sell it (and post pics, too!!!)
Old 02-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with the forty. actually it should cost less to run because the hull is more efficient then the 37. the forty offers a really nice ride. haven't heard of bravo failer but if that is the case it's usally from miss use. just take care of them. as per warrenty you can add on a three year extended warenty to the boat. that should do ya. plus you won't lose as much when your going to sell it. warrenty should cost you about 1500.00.

just my two cent's
oh yeah, if you buy the new one be prepared to hold it at least 8 years for the minimum or you will be upside down, gurrenteed. that's a long time. think hard. also the motors from three years ago to today are not much diffrent so don't let that sway you.

Treadwell
Old 02-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Hi,Eric.Actually at most speeds and rpms,the 370 is a little more efficient than the 400, but not a lot of difference one way or the other. And interestingly we have found that the Hp500's in a boat this heavy are slightly more efficient than 496HOs/502MPI's cause the 500's are not laboring quite as much. Again only slight difference but those 500's sure have awesome midrange in a big boat. And same 5 year warranty. We haven't had any drive issues much either,you are right,misuse. Problem is some owners don't understand"misuse".And whether you stay upside down depends on many factors,selling price,down payment,interest rate,etc.We don't know the pricing of the 3 boats in question,there are way too many variables here,but a 370 or 400 should make anyone smile

Last edited by Magicfloat; 02-12-2003 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could hook you up with a 99 40SS with 502's and 256 hours for 189,900. Let me know if you have any other questions. We are also offering 6 mo. no pay and no interest on new boats this week because of the D.C. boat show.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.