Notices

Call Blockers

Old 02-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call Blockers

Man, I'm so tired of all the unwanted calls trying to change my phone plan,sell me hospital insurance,donate to bogus causes,etc.,etc. Do these $40 Radio Shack blockers work,or will I miss some important calls that come from non caller ID areas?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have a cell phone, its cheaper and no soliciters. I haven't had a home phone for over 3 years.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Great idea,unfortunately on the banks of Smith Lake,Al my cellphone is dead.As soon as the new tower goes up in the backwoods here,I will do exactly that
Old 02-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Registered

I have a "Call Zapper", which does work in a limited capacity. Apparently, if you are auto-dialed by a computer, the Zapper emits a tone that is similar to a disconnected signal, which tells the computer to delete your number. It will not block calls coming in as out of area, or private number.

Two problems: The solicitors who dial your number manually, and the annoying beep every time you pick up the phone.

We did notice a dramatic reduction in calls, but I signed up for the "Texas No-Call List" around the same time.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The telezapper things works OK... I dont have a home phone either so I dont get the annoying calls... I think the "no-call" list was more effective...
Old 02-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

New York also has a no-call list. Did you see where the telemarketers are taking these states to court to abolish the no-call lists in the states that have them? Do you know (can we even imagine) how the elderly are taken advantage of? I've seen (heard) this first hand with a couple of my elders...........scumbag telemarketers! Robert, does Ala. have a no call list to get on? It works for the most part, call the local att. generals office to get more info.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indiana has a No Call list. Have yet to recieve any type of solicitor call since signing on over a yr ago. Best thing since sliced bread!!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Alabama has a no call list,I'm on it. Problem is all the solicitors that call are exempt, a toothless law. Calls that bother me the worst are the phone plans,they are good at making you think they work for Bellsouth or ATand T,when they don't. They flat out lie and I flat out hang up.I also feel for some of the older folks who are susceptible to these scam artists and get ripped off by fast talk. Disgusting.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Registered

Same as Just Browsing - TeleZapper plus Texas No Call and I'm down to almost no solicitors. Neither one affects charities though.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Supposedly, when you tell the ones that do get thru to take you off their call list...they are obligated to do that. Get the name of the soliciting company when you do that, and imply that the local attorney general's advocate and you are old chums. They know that if you complain that they didn't remove you when asked, based upon your say-so they can be fined. It's worth a shot ...I've done it w/ some success. Every one you can eliminate from hassling you by any means...you know?

Quick Reply: Call Blockers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.