Notices

Stereo amp question

Old 02-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo amp question

Can someone explain to me what "bridgeable" means, I have a Sony Explode stereo that came stock in my Donzi (4 speaker set up), couple that with the Sony Explode XM-754SX, so I have 4 Sony speakers that do OK, I am going to buy a 8" sub (all I have room for, one sub not two) and wonder "specifically" how to wire the sub for max preformance on this particular amp? I have had no luck with specific details online, only specs....
I want good medium level sound, we are not LOUDEST POSSIBLE SOUND nuts, we seek good mid level volume, good bass and little distortion....

The amp is http://www.storescanner.com/product.asp?id=2983

Thanks in advance.
Oh, and the Sub is not bought yet, I will buy this weekend, I have all the major stores and some audio places available here in the Va Beach area, so brand, reviews and model numbers will help, not worried about the price.....

SO, help me with how to wire and what Subs you guys are using????
And if you are an audio pro, email me your phone number I will call you this weekend.....
Thanks guys.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 02-13-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wire the left neg, and the right pos. it should be marked on the output on the amp
Old 02-13-2003, 08:07 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bridging means combining 2 link able channels of your amplifier to create a single more powerful channel, more often used to power sub woofer speakers.

I use this method on my pro audio subs for live perfomances
Old 02-13-2003, 08:07 PM
OneMoreMph

If price is not an issue, go with a nice 5 channel amp.

JL Audio has a 5 channel, i believe its 75 watts x 4 channels for your 6.5's and 200 for your sub.

JL would be your porshe, where sony would be your camaro.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

A JL amp will draw too much current for realistic boat applications. If you want efficient reliable power, use a Rockford Fosgate Power BD series amp. I have a few 500bd and 1000bd's that I will blow out next week when I get back from the boat show. The 500 will be around $330 and the 1000 will be a bit over $400. All brand new in the box with full manufacturer warranty.

The bd series is efficient at low and high volumes and makes quality reliable sound.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:50 PM
OneMoreMph

If only using mids and an 8 inch sub, it won't pull much power at all.

I think a 5 channel is the better way to go than with 2 amps (1 for mids another for the one sub)

That 500 and 1000 are 2 channel aren' they?

Old 02-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

The Sony is fine for the application you intend. If you want serious power go with the fosgate, or JL audio. I prefer Alpine.

What you will want to do is run the amp in 3 channels.

1 channel bridged mono using the LPF crossover (low pass frequency=bass) to a 4ohm sub.

Next 2 channels you will run 2 4ohm 6x9 type, or 2 4ohm component style speakers. They will be using the HPF crossover (high pass frequency=mids and highs)

Place the mids and highs towards the front of the boat, the sound has has more realism in front of you. Sound is usually heard from in front of you. Music is suppose to encompass you, if you don't have 4 speakers placing 2 in front will sound better.

If you add another sub later down the road you can just paralell it off of the existing sub circuit. That amp is capable of running a 2ohm load. with no problems
Old 02-13-2003, 11:20 PM
OneMoreMph

Bryan Tuvell sounds like he wants to jam. It's really hard to get an idea of sound systems by reading these posts.

Talk to the fellas at an audio store and they will fix you right up. Just don't pay the full retail on the equipment. Most of them will go overboard with it, but if you have the cash, let them. It will be cool!

Good luck with your jams