View Poll Results: Synthetic oil or not?
Yes I use synthetic oil
65.72%
No I do not use synthetic oil
30.57%
Hell, I don't even know where the oil cap is
3.71%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Using LS JR. TG
Default Re: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Mercury Marine told me that if I don't use their oil & their filter it will void my warranty on my new long blocks. I am a big fan of Mobil 1 & have used it for years. I only use Mobil 1 in my Sutphen & when my warranty is up on the Cig it will get 8 qts.of the good.

Every Mercedes we service only gets Mobil 1. Thats what Mercedes recommends.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 AM
Registered

My Boats: 92, Checkmate, Enforcer 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus
I just bought 3 cases of V-twin (6 qts per case) 49.00/case.

Anyone bought the v-twin for less than 8 bucks/qt?

Kurt
I use it in my 496HO

$7.89/Qt at the Navy exchange.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike
Mercury Marine told me that if I don't use their oil & their filter it will void my warranty on my new long blocks. I am a big fan of Mobil 1 & have used it for years. I only use Mobil 1 in my Sutphen & when my warranty is up on the Cig it will get 8 qts.of the good.

Not sure about the filter issue, however I believe they can not legally void a warranty if you use an oil with the same or better API rating with the same weight.

Any one else?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet

Letter from Amsoils website

Special Letter From AMSOIL To Your Car/Truck/Motorcycle/Boat/Snowmobile/ Small Engine, etc.. Dealership:

Dear, Mr. Service Manager (actual name you supply will be put here),

It has come to our attention that you (or employee's name) have been informing our mutual customers that the use of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils voids your manufacturers' warranty. This claim is not true. Please review the following facts about warranties and AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils.

Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) recommend consumers use lubricants of the proper viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it's petroleum oil or synthetic, may be used without affecting overall warranty coverage. OEMs pay or deny warranty claims based on findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the brand of oil used, or the length of time or number of miles the oil was used. To flatly inform customers that the use of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil voids their warranty is not true, is not supported by any OEM and damages AMSOIL INC.

Synthetic motor oil was introduced to the automotive public in 1972 by AMSOIL INC., with its introduction of the world's first API (American Petroleum Institute) rated synthetic motor oil. Since then, every major engine oil manufacturer has followed AMSOIL's lead and has introduced synthetic oils of their own. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils exceed the most demanding worldwide performance standards. They are specially formulated for long service and provide superior performance and protection to that provided by conventional oils, and can be installed and used with complete confidence. AMSOIL INC. offers our customers warranty coverage and provides the proper insurance to cover an oil related failure, should one ever occur.

We appreciate your attention to this matter and anticipate there will be no further intimidation of our customers by your insuring no one implies or states that the use of AMSOIL products will "void" their warranty coverage. Thank You.

AMSOIL INC., Customer Service Division

cc: Legal Department
Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

My Boats: 33 Stratos, Sweet 16 Donzi

I use 15/50 Mobile 1 synthetic only.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan
I use 15/50 Mobile 1 synthetic only.
Me too. I wish it was easier to get the 5 qt containers. The local Walmart is always hit and miss. They usually dont have the EP in the large containers. Only the regular stuff. $7/qt is killing me.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

So is it Vtwin?? or EP 15/50 for stock HP500's carb motors with 300 hrs.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Registered

My Boats: 94 scarab 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike

I had a mercury motor throw a rod under waranty this summer. The only question the merc rep had for the marina servicing my claim was what oil I was running. Of course I replied mercury oil. End of that merc gave me a new long block and paid all the labor charges. I am a firm believer in the benefits of synthetic but a fight over the bill is not really worth it for me.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Baja 30' Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunster
I had a mercury motor throw a rod under waranty this summer. The only question the merc rep had for the marina servicing my claim was what oil I was running. Of course I replied mercury oil. End of that merc gave me a new long block and paid all the labor charges. I am a firm believer in the benefits of synthetic but a fight over the bill is not really worth it for me.
LOL!! Agreed!! I use Merc's synthetic blend.